1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Questions About Oscar De La Renta

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TheVintagePeddler, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Hi,

I didn't see this label on the resource.

[​IMG]

It is from this dress which I thought looked sixties but I am not sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you all think?

Marie

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I haven't seen that label either Linda. The higher waist looks mid sixties to
    me, but not sure. What kind of zipper?

I sold this Oscar de la Renta during OP and it is from the early
    60s, metal zip. There is a pic of that label on the auction.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48868&item=8131658148">here</a>

Editing Post......I NEED MORE SLEEP!

Sorry about the wonky link and mixing up the two designers....I need the 'baghead' icon!

3. That's an Oleg Cassina on your auction :)
    This doesn't have a zipper but rather snaps on the inside of that back pleat with one hook and eye at the waist and two brushed brass buttons at the top.

Marie
    Let me get some more pics....

4. Marie, I think you are correct on 60s with the empire bodice and the a-line skirt.

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, that's what I thought, too. Here are pictures of the snaps.

I just think this is such a cute dress. It is very flattering. Do you think MOD would be a good kw? Any other descriptives you guys can think of?

Marie

6. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

The bodice, and the detailing and pleat at the front are <I>perfect</I> mid-60s... but the fastening at the back and the length of it have thrown me completely as they're quite out of character with the rest of the style... I'm quite confused. I'll detail the fashion styles it could fall into, and let you decide as you have it with you and can inspect it more closely.

<B>Winter 62/63 season</B> - calf length, high neck, sleeves beginning on the shoulder, dresses with an over-bodice that fastens at the back... but back pleats were out as they would interfere with the coats and jackets that were slit at the back... pocket details on the lower area of the skirt being phased out.

<B>Spring 64 season</B> - high waist, straight shoulders, neat close neckline... but the start of the sleeve would have to be slightly past the shoulder rather than on the shoulder (and I can't see this in the pictures).

<B>Spring 65 season</B> - cut outs located anywhere on the bodice, knee length, short sleeved, single long front pleat.

<B>Spring 66 season</B> - lower skirt pocket detail coming back in (but usually with geometric shaped dresses, not with a front pleat)

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

7. Wow Senti,
    That's a lot of great info. If you think it is 60's I am just going to go with that and not try to narrow it down to a season or a year.

By the way, it is good to 'meet' you. Really glad to see you posting here.
    Thanks so much for all the info. What do you do that you have so much specific knowledge? I'm really impressed.

Marie

8. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

It's deffinately a 60s. :)

I have this knowledge because I spend far too much time reading 1960s magazines and building websites on the girlfriends/wives of The Beatles. So what with working out which outfits the girls wore to which event, and reading magazines full of "what's in this season" I usually find it quite easy to pin things down to a certain section of the 60s.

It's fabulous to find a useful outlet for all of this here. Usually I irritate friends and family by complaining all the way through any modern film or TV programme set in the 1960s.
    <li>"There's no way you'd wear a 1967 dollybird outfit with a 1962 housewife's hairstyle and 1950s shoes!"</li>
    <li>"That didn't come out until 1972 so why are they wearing it in 1965?! And that eye-shadow colour didn't come out until three years later, what are the researchers thinking of?!"</li>

...unfortunately I also complain about the wallpaper and the furniture, so you can see what I drive people mad! LOL!

Anyway, this dress has caught me out, so I'm intrigued. I'll be keeping an eye out for this sort of style now in my magazines. :)

And I do really love it here because I'm learning so much more, getting an endless supply of fabulous pictures of 60s outfits to try and "guess the year", and everyone is so lovely! :) ...I'm also spending a lot too. LOL!

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

9. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Love the info that you give on the 60s Senti!

Sue

10. Senti,

Oh I love the sixties!
    I am so glad we now have a resident sixties expert. You won't bore us here or drive us crazy!
    It is wonderful to have a passion for something and even better when you can share it with friends. So now you have friends here.
    Oh, and I know what you mean about movie and tv blunders. You can always share them at this site:
    http://www.movie-mistakes.com/

Anyway...glad you're here!

Marie