1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some thoughts on Price Fluctuations

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by pastperfect2, Jun 8, 2004.

1. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Some thoughts on Price Fluctuations

I have been realizing once again that between rising and falling fads and fashions, prices are fluctuating. And remembering that 'past results are no indicator of future performance' as my broker likes remind me.

It is hard to remember that just because Edwardian Whites once went for $225 minimum, that now most of them are going for $125 - $150 unless they are special. And some don't find buyers at all.

Those 40s suits I once sold in the 90s like hotcakes have slowed down. They still sell, but not for much more than before and won't as long as big shoulder pads are out.

I never had much luck with net prom dresses, but I noticed they aren't doing as well locally in the shops.

40s and 50s Ties have died - I will be giving them away with suits.

Anyone else noticing what fashions have faded?

And ones we should stop stocking up on?

Hollis

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

sad to say, since I still have a lot of stock, but I would say the hippie/boho look is deader than dead.

Sue

3. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Do you think rockabilly VLV is like investing in gold?

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I wouldn't spend too much and I'd sell it as quickly as I got it in. It's the type of faze that will pass eventually, although that could be a bit, so you don't want to be holding a lot of stock when it does.

Hollis

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Last year I actually did invest in some dresses that I was sure would go for VLV this year (circle skirts, etc). I was
    able to buy low at the time, however some of my items
    went high, and some just went.

I think if you see a garment that you know will do
    phenomenal then yes, pick it up and catbox it until early next year, but don't do like I did and save everything.

Sue