1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sonia" label with NY Paris. Need help identifying.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by E. Sophie Schwartz, Feb 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. E. Sophie Schwartz

E. Sophie Schwartz Registered Guest

Hello all,

Has anyone seen this Sonia label variation? It has "Sonia" in script with NEW YORK - PARIS, Made in India.
    The garment is an oversized nylon jacket in gold and green with a large butterfly on the back. Vintage indeed from approximately the 80s. Is this a Sonia Rykiel? Thank you in advance for any information and insight.

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Midge likes this.
  3. E. Sophie Schwartz

Hi Linn,

Thanks for replying! Here are a couple of pics. Ofcourse one side pocket zipper got stuck and two buttons are missing but overall it's a very interesting beautifully crafted nylon jacket.

The metal hardware on the zipper says "YKK"

Thanks for your help identifying the label and jacket designer.

E. Sophie S.

Attached Files:

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

thank you for posting the photos. It definitely looks like 1980s, but I don't think it has anything to do with Sonia Rykiel. It doesn't look like what Rykiel designed, and the label as well does not look like any of those in our resource (and even so, I would expect it to have her full name on it if indeed it was Rykiel, even if it were a label that we didn't have in our resource).

5. E. Sophie Schwartz

Thank you for the post & feedback. Perhaps there was a lesser known designer "Sonia" out of NY/Paris in the 80's. If anyone sees or remembers another designer from that era named Sonia, please feel free to post the information.

E. Sophie S.

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Very often you see things like “Paris/ New York” on a label but it really doesn’t mean that they actually had anything to do with either. It’s just a way to make the brand sound fancier. Looking at your label, I wouldn’t think this is an actual designer named Sonia but likely a brand name. Are there any other tags inside? Care labels? Anything that shows an RN number?

Midge likes this.
  7. E. Sophie Schwartz

Hi Victoria,

Unfortunately no other labels are in the jacket except for "made in india" right below the main label.

Thanks for your feedback and information.

E. Sophie

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I second Victoria's view - and I think the "made in India" supports that this was a smaller brand, and not so much a designer.

Vintagiality likes this.
  9. E. Sophie Schwartz

Thanks for your feedback. I see what you're saying!