1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanish Labels?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Sep 29, 2011.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

On the labels resource I see Lila Bath.
    Is there a timeline for this work? States 40 years?
    ------------------
    I don't see Don Luis de Espana. Is there a reason?

Specifically looking for more history on these 2 labels. Thank you. Sandy

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

HI Sandy - I am also trying to do some research on Spanish designers from the 1960s but there is a language problem for me, and there aren't any books on the topic that I have found. Is your interest in Spanish designers? If so, Lila Bath is Mexican, not Spanish. I don't know who Don Luis de Espana is - if you have any information on him I would love to read more.

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

4. foofoogal

Thank you. Yes, I know Lila Bath is a Mexican designer.
    Just pick up what I like and see that Don Luis items are quite high end.
    I am always interested in antiques and vintage as I am a general dealer. The history fascinates me.

I thought I uploaded 2 photos but they do not show?

5. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Your photos were probably too big. Try to resize and upload again.

6. foofoogal

Lila Bath swim coverup.
    Don Luis has a matching jacket.

Attached Files:

7. foofoogal

Jacket and back of dress.

Attached Files:

8. foofoogal

tried to edit to add label to other photos. sorry.

Attached Files:

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The maxidress that Brenda posted is mine. When I acquired it, I did quite a bit of online research about him and wasn't able to come up with much at all except that his stuff was high end, and (if I remember correctly) known for his prints. Mine also has a Lord & Taylor label.

I didn't post the label at the time because of the paucity of information. I know our VFG label curators love it when there's some bio info to accompany a new label.

10. Laura

Laura Alumni

I have heard of Don Luis de España but I don't have any information on him (I've never looked up the company). I'm not sure if I first heard of the company when I lived in Spain or if it was later, through the VFG.

Jonathan, I can translate things for you if there is something specific you need help with.

Laura

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Thanks Laura - the problem I am finding is that there is just nothing written about them - even in Spanish! The Spanish fashion museum in Barcelona is going to be rectifying this gradually, and the curator there sent me a list of the leading Spanish designers of the 1960s and 1970s with scant bios but the info is spare. The Spanish shoe designers are even worse. I have a fabulous Spanish footwear fashion mag from 1969 but I can only ID one designer out of the entire mag!

12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Jody may have some background on de Espana. I'm at home today with access to the fashion bio info I've saved on my laptop over the years. When I was trying to research the label, I found a de Espana listing on etsy that credited Couture Allure for this information:
    But I couldn't find anything online actually written by Jody about Arbeo or de Espana.

13. foofoogal

Interesting. I have wondered if the Don Luis (de Espana which means of Spain) is just a tribute name. Americans especially those who would shop at nice shops would possibly recognize the name Don Luis.
    -------Don Luís (f. 1561-1571), also known as Paquiquineo, was a Native American from Tidewater Virginia who in 1561 traveled to Spain, was baptized in Mexico, and in 1571 returned as a missionary to Virginia=a spanish explorer.
    This Felix Arbeo possibly knew of the history? I see quite alot of the Felix Arbeo items on the internet. I would tend to think he changed his name or label as he got more successful or something.

14. Laura

Laura Alumni

I'm not sure if that Native American Don Luís is Don Luís de España. To my knowledge, Don Luís de España was Don Luís Carvajal y de la Cueva, born in Portugal in 1539, of Jewish Spanish parents who had left Spain because of religious persecution. Luís Carvajal received his title in 1576 (thus becoming Don Luís), and in 1579, King Felipe II of Spain named Don Luís "Governor of the New Kingdom of León" (in present-day Mexico). Thus, between his first trip to the Americas in 1567 and his death in 1590, he rose from an educated, marauding slave trader to be a very influential, important governor in New Spain. He eventually died while in prison for the crime of not reporting his niece to the Inquisition authorities. She had uttered a statement that was contrary to Catholic beliefs, and he rebuked her, but it was not enough to satisfy the authorities. (source: http://rcadena.com/ensayos/carvajal/carvajal.htm)

Of course, I don't know if the fashion company really did name the company after this historical person.

Jonathan, have you tried contacting el Museo de Traje (Fashion Museum) in Madrid? Their focus is specifically on Spanish designers. http://museodeltraje.mcu.es/ I'm not familiar with the Barcelona museum.

There is also a shoe museum in Elde, Valencia, that might be able to help you. It looks like it is privately owned, not a government-run museum. http://www.museocalzado.com/index.php

I'm sorry if this is terribly obvious and they are resources you've already tried...

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Mea Culpa - I meant Madrid...

16. foofoogal

Wondering if Jonathan or anyone has any more information on Don Luis.
    Thank you.

I see this Felix Arbeo designing into the 1980s or possibly longer. Name change?
    There is a Qiana ad on ebay from 1978 with a dress by him and a dress with a label of Felix Arbeo for Aventura (Adventura? )a division of Carrie Couture.

Putting all this strictly to help Jonathan in his research. Couture Allure information is noted.

17. foofoogal

I am mostly interested in this as I do not understand how just from the 1970s or 1980s such limited information can be found on a designer. Can someone explain this to me?
    Especially one that seems pretty prolific at the time.

18. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

The info Maggie posted was from one of my old listings that is now deleted from my site. But yes, that information is accurate and was culled from a newspaper article about the designer from the 70s.

19. joules

joules VFG Member

20. foofoogal

Thank you Jody. Still interesting how not much information but great items by this person.
    Any idea why the name change on label?