1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splendid Ankle Length Gold-Embroidered Velvet Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Phil van Kleur, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Phil van Kleur

Phil van Kleur Registered Guest

Here are three photos of one of the most spendid items I've got. I found it in a charity shop in Oxford about ten years ago. It's a dark navy-blue velvet coat — would one call it a caftan? — lavishly embroidered with gold thread, and with about 32 gold ball buttons. I don't know where it comes from, though I have found photos of something rather similar from Lebanon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Phil van Kleur

Phil van Kleur Registered Guest

That's very interesting. I wonder how it got to an Age Concern shop in Oxford.

I just Googled "Uzbkistan wedding coat". Some of the ones I found looked more elaborate, but the first picture on https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-07-31/wedding-voyeurism-from-bukhara-to-oaxaca , "Wedding Voyeurism: Street-Side Weddings in Uzbekistan and Oaxaca", looks as though it could be related to mine.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Who knows - somebody could have taken it with them when they emigrated to the UK? I am sure there are more and less elaborate ones. We went to a workshop where they were doing the embroidery when I visited Uzbekistan, they had all sorts of colors - black, purple, dark blue, dark green, dark red... And the embroidery is traditionally done by men!