1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spotlight on Vintage: Spring Coats

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

This past weekend those of us in the US - (who go on Daylight Savings Time) - "Spring Forward" (and in November we "Fall Back." ) The date of the change is different in Europe and Australia - and maybe elsewhere. I live in Hawaii - one of two states that stays on Standard time. However - Spring arrives officially for all of us in the Northern Hemisphere this Saturday, March 20th.

Let's show our Spring Coats in honor of the season. (I don't have any - so here I am - at the age of 5 or 6 - with mine! - at least I think it's a Spring coat - based on the shoes.)

Spotlight on VIntage is Open to Trade Members and Registered Guests!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

That is so cute Linn—what a great smile!

I was going to offer this coat for sale, but I caved and kept it.

mypinkraincoat.jpg

This is it's lining:
    PC075622.png

3. Linn

Thank you, Maggie -

I would have kept that pink coat, too!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Maggie, I would have kept that one too!!!

I have a pink spring coat as well, 1960s, with a label from a tailor in Italy - it's beautifully made. It's not particularly practical, and really only goes with a few of my shift dresses, and it's definitely a spring coat as in not being warm at all, but I enjoy wearing it and keep hanging on to it. One of my better thrift shop finds!
    pinkcoat7.jpg
    It reminds me of one of Francie doll's (Barbie's groovy cousin) outfits - she was first issued in 1966, so that's a perfect fit:
    francie.jpg

5. Linn

Karin -

You look fabulous in that coat!

6. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Linn, that is the most adorable pic of you. And, like you, we don't wear Spring coats here in Texas, since Spring lasts only about 4 days...
    These are the only spring coats I recall wearing, as a child in Missouri. And, all three of my sisters and I looked so forward to getting our Spring Easter coats, purses, and hats! Circa 1961. We lived in a very small town, and looked forward to driving over to Pittsburg, KS to shop for them! We've always called this picture the Coconut Cake Hat picture, because of what our Mom was wearing!!
    9B9667F8-6092-466B-AD3B-4B403604E457_1_105_c.jpeg

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Which girl are you Janine? Let me guess: Light blue coat?

8. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

you guys are adorable! (both the little and the "big girls"!). Maggie~ that coat is divine and definitely a keeper. Smart move!

I've got a 1940s swing jacket I'm prepping to post tomorrow. Perfect weight and style for Spring!

denisebrain and Distantdetails like this.
  9. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Hah! No, that is my sister Mary, who is less than 12 months older than me. I think that was Mary's 1st Communion, because our mom always dressed us as twins, and we weren't in that picture. Twin dressing was always ridiculous, since I was a flat-out tomboy, and Mary was a very sweet, little beauty. We'd be wearing the same outfits, but my socks would be dragging around my shoes, my bows were lop-sided, and I could barely get on a dress before I had to run around in it and mess it up. I'm the one on the far right, in my fashionable one-button coat. I loved that coat!!!

denisebrain likes this.
  10. Linn

Such a cute photo. Thanks for sharing it, Janine. (I would have guessed you were wearing the blue coat, too!)

denisebrain likes this.
  11. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

this lovely 40s swing jacket will be posted soon.
    40s gingham swing jacket.JPG

Vinclothes and denisebrain like this.
  12. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

It’s fantastic! And you look so good in it

denisebrain likes this.