1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St. Marks Place NYC Vintage - Limbo, Grizzly Furs, etc.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by StMarksisDead, Oct 23, 2017.

1. StMarksisDead

StMarksisDead Registered Guest

Hello!
    I'm the author of a book called St. Marks Is Dead (WW Norton, 2015), a history of the street in NYC's East Village. This week I'm working on a follow-up article specifically about resale clothing shops on the street. I'm wondering if anyone has any memories of vintage shopping in NYC 1965-1975, and if so, whether you have a sense of which were the major stores, what the scene was like, how it fits into the history of vintage in NYC or in America? I suspect that Limbo and Charles FitzGerald's stores like Grizzly Furs were among the first hip vintage clothes stores in NYC, and so perhaps in America? But that's a big claim, so I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me confirm or deny...?
    Best,
    Ada ([email protected])

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I'd get in touch with someone like Legs McNeil. He's helpful and probably still in touch with all the folks who worked at Soho News and Paper, etc. Same with Marcia Resnick. I'd contact them through Facebook.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017