1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Michael label and style code year?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by indigojay, Sep 10, 2018.

1. indigojay

indigojay Registered Guest

DEEB6E7D-099E-469B-9FD4-2756EDAD3F56.jpeg I’ve recently acquired a vintage men’s polo shirt with the iconic St Michael label. I know that this label was discontinued in 2000 but after contacting M&S themselves I did think they might have been able to accurately tell me when my item was sold from the style codes on the label. 1950-2000 is too large a window! It’s nice to know accurate detail when dealing with vintage.
    If anyone can help the picture at the top shows a T code number I’m not sure what this means. The other picture won’t uploads but it gives a style code of: 7828 096.
    The collar label says: St Michael Leisurewear Made In The UK in green.

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The code shown is the product code, not anything to do with when it was made. Can you show the whole label front and back please, plus the neck label?

3. indigojay

Hi Melanie thanks for the reply. Annoyingly the other two photos of the labels won’t upload -it says the files are too large. But they’re the same size as the first picture.

4. indigojay

D219D769-73B7-4536-937F-9BD5415FF77D.jpeg F3E45C22-C263-4737-8307-7F21225F3485.jpeg D219D769-73B7-4536-937F-9BD5415FF77D.jpeg F3E45C22-C263-4737-8307-7F21225F3485.jpeg
    Hi Melanie - I hope these will be ok!

5. indigojay

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks, sorry I should have asked for a photo of the whole garment from the front too please?

7. indigojay

BB3B126A-F695-4534-B945-087D1BF1782C.jpeg Sorry Melanie. I’ve been having trouble trying to reduce the size!

8. indigojay

Based on the style and unusual sweatshirt material of the polo shirt I think it’s mid 1990s. Could you be more specific as you have far more expertise than I!

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

10. indigojay

How fascinating Melanie. I’ll leave it with you! I think there’s a real need for some kind of website which can help people determine dates of garments using various style codes of chain stores. It seems that there are a lot of people out there wishing to have such info - particularly based on the enquiries through the forum. Many years ago (mid 90s) when I worked in retail I know that from the till’s computers style codes for clothing items could be entered and a date history could be found out quickly. Invaluable for determining dodgy refund seekers! In our more advanced technological age now, you’d think it’d be an easy task online.

gossamer likes this.
  11. indigojay