1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steampunk sunglasses/goggles, dating and description help? - the expert's opinion

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

steampunk sunglasses/goggles, dating and description help? - the expert\'s opinion

I just got these, can anyone help date them? I thought 30s, but don't really know. The ear hoops are all bendy.

Also, are they driving goggles? Aviators? Motorcycle goggles? Any description tips? I thought steampunk, any other keywords I should use?

Thanks, Ruth

2. :hiya:

Hi Ruth and welcome to the boards!

Cool shades! Steampunk is a perfect KW, but other than that I'm not much help and I look forward to learning more.

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oh my - I would think the steampunk people will go mad over those. Is there any name on them? Willson is THE name to watch for I believe. I'm guessing they are driving goggles. Anyone else?

4. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I think driving goggles is the right term too - I reckon you're about right with 30s too. Cool find! :)

5. Retro Ruth

I'm rather in love with them myself I must say! No, no name anywhere that I can see, but thanks for the tip on Willson, I'll keep an eye out in future.

6. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Could they possibly be safety glasses for machinists or welders?

7. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

I did some quick searching and I think yours might be 40s, either way they are very cool!! This would be my title:
    VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE AVIATOR SUNGLASS GOGGLE STEAMPUNK
    Be sure to note that they are tinted and show how the side shields rotate.

8. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

These are not looking 30s nor 40s to me, I would say 60s with an earlier flair. I have sold quite a few vintage sunglasses, and these are not saying 30s to me. I will do some research to be certain.

9. Retro Ruth

Thanks for the title suggestion! I'd be interested to know where your searching led you.

Safety glasses is a thought - Rosie the Riveter glasses!

I don't think they are as late as 60s, they just have that earlier feel in the construction. I've never seen that bendy spring coil ear loop thing on later glasses, though please correct me if I'm wrong. Also these two came from the same source, and I'm pretty sure these are 40s at the latest, they are quite tiny. Of course it doesn't mean that the goggles aren't later than these, but it does make me lean towards earlier.

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

11. Retro Ruth

That is a great site, thanks.

The more I look at goggles the less certain I am on the date of these!

12. Retro Ruth

While doing more research, I discovered the British Optical Association Museum, in London

http://www.college-optometrists.org/index.aspx/pcms/site.college.What_We_Do.museyeum.museyeum_home/

They have an online searchable catalogue of Optical objects, including lots of obscure glasses and goggles, such as

http://www.museyeum.org/detail.php?t=objects&type=all&f=&s=goggles&record=25

AND, as part of their services to the public, they offer to try and date old glasses! I'm going to send them some pictures and see what they say.

13. Retro Ruth

I have an appointment tomorrow, with the curator of the British Optical Association Museum - apparently the oldest Optical Museum in the world! He's going to look at my goggles and specs and give me a tour! How cool is that! I'll will let you know how it goes.

14. joules

joules VFG Member

That's incredible! Great research, and we will be awaiting the expert's opinion.
    Have fun on the tour!

15. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

They look pretty early to me, before the 30s, but I'm no eye glass expert. Let us know what the museum says.

Melody

16. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a scan of a similar pair of driving goggles I found in a 1909 automotive supply catalog I have here:

17. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and just FYI, for future goggle-gathering, here is more of the page, with other goggle styles...

18. Retro Ruth

Oh wow! that's amazing! Thank you! The thing that's making think trell might be right about them being later, is that all the early one's I see have either leather or metal sides, not plastic. It does feel like 'early' plastic tho. We'll see what the guy says tomorrow.

19. Retro Ruth

So I went to the Optical Museum...

Fascinating place, just two rooms but absolutely crammed with stuff. If you are in London and at all interested in the subject, it's well worth a visit. So much to see that it was hard to pick a favourite piece, but I did like the 18th century fans, that have a spyglass lens built into them, so you could pretend to be hiding behind your fan while actually spying on people on the other side of the room. Plus drawers full of old glasses you could try on (some fifties frames to die for.)

Here's me trying on 19th century sunglasses...

[​IMG]

some WW2 night vision adaptor goggles, worn by pilots before they flew at night to dark-adapt their eyes.

[​IMG]

and some 17th century spectacles made of leather

[​IMG]

I could go on, but I'll resist!

Anyway, back to the goggles. The curator's opinion, was that they are definitely post-war. At the very earliest, late 1940s, and more likely to be from the 50s or even 60s. So Trell, you were right and sorry for doubting you. He said they were unlikely to have been meant as driving goggles as people didn't really use them then, more likely some kind of protective visor, though he couldn't say what for. Aviation and skiing were both possibilities, but, a true professional historian, he was unwilling to speculate beyond his knowledge.

Of course I was hoping they were earlier, but I've learned so much! And they are still very cool shades.

The other two glasses were definitely between the wars, probably 1930s.

So thanks everyone for all your input. I thought perhaps I should put the BOA museum website link into the online resources. It's searchable objects catalogue is really useful.

Ruth

20. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

Hi, I am glad you got an expert opinion, I would go with late 50s early 60s on these. I looked at them when you said you were waiting on an answer, and part of me said late 50s. I have learned something too. I do not know whether you have sold sunglasses/eyeglasses/goggles on ebay, but eyewear buyers are very picky, so be conservative in your dating.