1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straw hat with Harrods label. Any hat experts?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by robin64, May 11, 2018.

1. robin64

robin64 Registered Guest

harrods straw hat.jpg
    Hi Does anyone have an estimated date for this hat please? Really nicely made with two layers. Shallow. I am not bad on clothing but a straw hat is not my area of dating expertise. Thanks all x

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Cute hat! Looks late 1940s to early 1950s to me. Knowing the dimensions (width across and F to B) will help a bit in refining the dating. Also, what is the inside circumference?

peaceful vintage likes this.
  3. robin64

robin64 Registered Guest

Thanks. It is 15.5" across and the brim is just over 4" circumference 23.5" on the outside. Is there a good technique to measuring it inside? I find that tricky. I was thinking 40's or 50's too actually.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The best method I have found is to take a cloth measuring tape and hold it snug against the interior, at the very base the the ribbon hand or the line where the brim meets the crown. I start at a defined point like the edge of the label, or a seam so I am sure where to end the measurement. It takes a bit of patience and go slowly and with care but it is accurate if your fingers don't slip! I always do it twice to be sure, and if the 2 results are more than 1/4" different, then do it third time.

I still think it is late 40s to early 50s. Reminds me of a French "Gigi" style hat. Before she became a blooming courtesan, of course.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  5. robin64

robin64 Registered Guest

Thanks very much. Rue _de_la_Paix
    I have sold the hat and hoping it was a good price. £100