1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stretching synthetic leather sandals

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Slimewarp, May 21, 2017.

1. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

Hi friends. Does anyone have any advice on how to stretch the width of a sandal toe strap? Man Made materials (synthetic leather of some kind). They are only a tiny bit tight and I really want to wear them without getting horrible blisters!!

Thanks in advance!
    -Hannah

Attached Files:

2. Hi Hannah, you can get a stretching spray from the shoe repairer. It's designed for leather, which as a natural material, will stretch. Not sure if it will work on a synthetic but you can ask them and they should know.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've always understood that synthetic leather doesn't stretch.

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

No it won't stretch. A good cobbler could sort them out for you though - either by using a piece of faux-leather from the back of the strap I can see (this would necessitate changing them from a foldover fastening to a buckle or popper fastening) to insert into the strap to widen them.
    Or, probably the easier option is to cut the strap and insert some elastic the same width as the strap, either at the sole line (usually in the inside edge is more discreet) or in your case perhaps under where the flower sits? I have replaced elastic in shoes myself using leather needles, standard elastic and an alcohol based ink art pen to match the colour to the shoe.

5. Slimewarp

I appreciate everyone's help and opinions!! I think I may just decide to sell them, I would rather keep them unaltered and let another person enjoy them. Thanks again!!

Pinkcoke likes this.
  6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Probably for the best, if you buy a leather pair they will stretch to fit you better :) What size are you? I have some 60's yellow suede sandals with wide straps, not platform though, a short chunky heel.

7. Slimewarp

I wear size 9.5 or 10, so a lot of vintage shoes are too narrow and small for me. I don't really wear heels bbut i love platforms