1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck zip BIBA with photos

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

I’ve come across a wonderful early 70s green crepe BIBA dress. It’s in great condition, but for one small problem - the back zip is totally and utterly stuck. I’ve tried everything I can think of including WD40, soap, etc. But none has budged it at all.

The zip itself is quite odd looking - it’s certainly not like the traditional metal zips I’ve seen in the other BIBA dresses. As far as I can tell it’s not stuck in the material, it simply isn’t moving!

I’m starting to feel like the only option is to replace the zip, but what are the implications from a value perspective? I know it would be better to have the original, but if it’s a choice between a new zip and not being able to wear it, I’m assuming A replacement zip is better?!

I guess another option would be to sell to a collector/someone who doesn’t intend to wear it, but not sure if it would be desirable from that perspective (although it’s very beautiful)...

so annoyed - I’ve never not managed to unstick a zip before!!!

help,

Impey

Attached Files:

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Posts all over the place on this one.

Guarantee, few people who read your post, view the photos don't want to jump in and have a go at freeing it.

I can't tell you if the zip is original to the dress but if it isn't and replacement is required the subject is academic.

I am in no doubt you have checked but are you sure there isn't a pin or metal tooth preventing slider from opening. I ask because zip looks in good condition and in the past I have had a couple of dresses where a pin has been inserted through the gaps in the slider and never worked out why.

From your photos it would appear the zip has caught before so it is possible material has puckered and jammed zip.

If what you have attempted to free zip has failed, I would attempt to lever open the slider gap just a little, pliers to grip, screwdriver inserted in to gap/s and twist just a bit at a time to spread gap.

Grip the slider but not in such a way it prevents you from spreading gaps, after each attempt, wiggle and pull slider but such attempts are an ever decreasing circle as it is possible you could pop the slider open, then back to square one of replacement.

Are you sure there is no pin head??

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  3. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks Avantbo - sorry about the somewhat chaotic posting - I really should have just put the photos on from the off!

off to Check for pins and grab a pair of pliers!

Impey

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Lever and wiggle slider one side at a time.

If successful DO Not, re-apply WD 40, don't do this, it is not the solution.

5. By the thread, it appears the zipper has been replaced. The thread looks blue?
    If so, I would have it replaced.

GemGem likes this.
  6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I once had a zipper that absolutely wouldn’t budge and took it to a local tailor to replace. He looked at it for one second and told me he could fix it. Then took a pair of pliers and literally squished it, like slightly flattened it, worked perfectly after that. If you run out of options and decide to replace it, I would try this as a last resort.

Avantbo likes this.
  7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Yes squishing works and has done so for me but some sliders don't squish to well but certainly worth a try.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It appears that threads are caught up in the head? Is that the case?

9. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

Thanks so much to you all, it’s really helpful. I’m not convinced the zip is original - the colour doesn’t match the fabric (the thread does) but not the zip itself. It’s a very odd zip altogether!

I’m going to take it to a tailors tomorrow and see what they think - in the meantime I will contact the original owner and see if they remember it being replaced!

by the way, I wouldn’t want to you to think I go about spraying wd40 Willy nilly! It’s mentioned as an option on quite a few threads here, but it will be firmly reserved for locks from now on!

Impey

10. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Impey,

I have looked at the photos again and like you I am not convinced the zip is original.

And no I don't think you spray willy nilly WD 40 on stuck zips and yes it is mentioned as an option, it is so the wrong advise.

Don't use WD40 on a jammed lock or as a lubricant, it may release it, it won't fix it, graphite powder is the best or a copper lube.

Time for me to take my bloke hat off and back to the world of vintage clothing.

Good luck with the zip, let us all know how it went.

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes to graphite/pencil - some members here have had good success with that to make a zipper run smoothly again.