1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student Vintage Market Research

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Rosie Bragg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Rosie Bragg

Rosie Bragg Registered Guest

Hi there!

I hope I am writing in the right forum thread, I am very new to this and not used to using forums, so forgive me!

I am a student at Norwich University of the Arts in England and I am conducting research for my project on the vintage market, as I have always been very interested in vintage clothing (mostly from the 80's!).

As well as having a passion for vintage clothing, I am also very passionate about the disastrous effect that fast fashion has on our environment and exploitation of workers in developing countries. I believe that reusing our clothes instead of buying new is a key thing we can all do to help stop the effects of fast fashion.

My questions are:

1. What do you think the pros and cons of shopping through vintage re-sale?
    2. Are you more likely to shop in a physical vintage store or online, or both?
    3. Would you consider refusing to purchase fast fashion and only buy from vintage re-sale shops, considering the benefits on the environment by reusing pre-owned clothes?

I would be so grateful to get anyone's feedback as this will have a great effect on my grade!
    Also, if there is more you would like to add which does not answer my questions, I'd be glad to hear it!

Thank you,

Rosie Bragg

2. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Some pros are:
    1. You can have your own style, without following any trends, for a low price.
    2. You can get unique, historical clothes that probably will last long if taken care properly.
    3. If someday the fabric gives in, for an example, you can reutilize it to make new clothes with that vintage pattern you love.
    Some cons are:
    1. Vintage sometimes can be expensive. It's really up to the seller and what you're buying.

As someone who doesn't live in the US, I much rather shop in a physical store. Shipping fares can be absurd and outprice the product itself.

Yes, I would. But being a male, sometimes I find it hard to buy vintage clothes for myself. It depends on where you buy.