1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Success With Restoring Panniers - Robe de Style

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Joanne, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

This is really a follow up to a post from a few weeks ago, seeking advice about restoring the wicker work panniers on a 1920s dress. I am feeling pleased with myself for working out how to do this. The panniers on this wedding dress are some kind of wicker work and were crumpled. I discovered that you can buy plastic boning which is already in a casing, so I stitched a length of this to the existing casing holding the wicker work hoops. It popped them back into shape like magic. They tie at front and back to keep in place. They are very springy, but on the body they sit in place well.

Attached Files:

2. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Thank you for taking time to share this with us. Personally, I am fascinated with panniers. . . never saw one from the 1920s!!

Joanne likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's such a darling dress! Thanks for sharing more photos with the panniers done up!

4. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

A beautiful dress and wonderful restoration.