1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suede Long Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Macie Hatch, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Macie Hatch

Macie Hatch Registered Guest

Hello all, I am new to this sight it was recommended to me. I hope I am posting in the correct area. I have had this long Suede/Fur coat since my grandmother past away a little over 15 years ago. I would like to learn a little more about it? Possibly sell it or donate it? Any help I can get would be appreciated. It may not really be anything other than a suede coat.... I have attached some pictures that I have taken. Thank you. Macie

Attached Files:

2. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Hi Macie,

I love a good mystery!
    :hiya:

For a start, the label graphics look like it's from the 1930s-40s. Does the label read Irida, or Rida? Hard to see in the photo. Can you see any portion of what is written under the black ink marks, in person? Do you know what year your Grandmother got married, as there is a bride and groom image on the label, she may have acquired it for her wedding trip. Do you know what her high school or college mascot was (referring to the "cat" on the label)?

Is the fur lining and collar shearling? Faux or real? Have you checked out the Fur Resource on this website (located at the homepage, top left drop-down menu.

Another clue would be the measurement of the bust (with the coat buttoned properly). The size number 12 changed through the decades, so that would help date it.

What else did you want to find out?

It's a nice coat! Do you wear it?

Macie Hatch likes this.
  3. Macie Hatch

Hi Laurie aka. Jazzbug :)

Thank you for your response!

The label reads Rida. I unfortunately cannot see any of the writing under the black marks, I am not sure why that happened. I will have to talk to my mom and see if she can answer some of the questions. When she gave me the coat, if my memory serves me correctly, she did not have a lot of knowledge behind the coat. She wanted me to have it because it is a beautiful coat and I have attended fun costume parties in the past. I do not wear it though, it has never fit me the right way and it is super heavy.

I would have to say that it is shearling. I will have to measure the bust.

I just do not know what to do with it at this point in my life. I guess not having the factual history on it, I have no sentimental value invested in it. I would be interested in selling it if it has value or donating it if it does not.

I will talk with my mom to get some more answers.

Thank you :)
    Macie

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Judging by the cut and style, I think it dates to the 1970s.

jazzbug and Macie Hatch like this.
  5. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Yes, the style does look like late 1960s/early 1970s -- that tag is throwing me, Barbara; what are your thoughts on the tag?

6. My first thought was late '60s to early '70s too, but it would help to know more about the buttons and construction. Can you post a close up of the buttons and the buttonholes please? The size label looks too modern for '30s-40s but they're generic in style so it's hard to tell.

jazzbug likes this.
  7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I suspect it is 90's. The label appears to show a wedding couple and a roaring panther, which is rather an odd combination, but more the sort of thing I'd expect from a more modern label than a 60s-70's vintage garment. The buttons are also not the usual plaited leather 'football' buttons or imitation plastic version buttons usually found on this style of sheepskin coat from an earlier period. It is curious that it has be de-branded. Can you make out what was under the black ink? Does it have another label with care info on?

jazzbug likes this.
  8. Macie Hatch

Sorry, I have not responded. Been super busy. I was able to get some more history from my mom about my gramma's coat. It was a gift from a boyfriend at the time for traveling. I guess at this point for me, I am not sure where to donate the coat to? I have attached more pictures. There is no way of seeing under that mark on the tag, not sure what happened there and why that would have been done. There is no care instructions. It has been very interesting getting some history and conversation from this coat. I also learned a more about my gramma that I was unaware. :)