1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super lucky thrift haul! (lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by doehearted, Jan 21, 2016.

1. doehearted

doehearted Registered Guest

so, I made a day out of thrifting yesterday, and went to my usual three stores. normally I find maybe one piece worth picking up or a couple if I'm lucky. I don't know what sort of sorcery was going on yesterday, but everywhere I went I had vintage coming out of my ears!

I found pieces ranging from 40s to 60s, so it wasn't just lots of stuff, it was more variety than I'm used to finding. I'm fairly certain the quality of a few of these finds surpasses the few dollars I'd paid for them, so I really couldn't be happier to have such nice pieces in my collection!

alright, so I found massive amounts of beauteous fluffy negligee:

this saks fifth avenue peignoir with flower sleeves!
    IMAG6607.jpg IMAG6611.jpg IMAG6614.jpg
    a couple sets (blue is shadowline)
    IMAG6593.jpg IMAG6480_1_1_1.jpg
    more nylon frills and thrills
    IMAG6476.jpg IMAG6474.jpg

and this rayon beauty by kabelle. this is actually the nicest condition I have ever seen nightwear from this era in. I don't know if it was ever worn actually, as it seems to me almost like the inner tie hasn't ever had its original bow undone. it's so crisp and eye-catching, I'd love to know a bit more about the label if anyone has heard of it (my search turned up no luck):
    IMAG6481_1.jpg IMAG6490_1.jpg IMAG6491_1.jpg IMAG6489.jpg

some really lovely dresses:

this pretty printed late 40s/early 50s wrap dress by swirl:
    IMAG6589.jpg IMAG6560.jpg IMAG6572.jpg IMAG6562.jpg

this gauzy lace laden gunne sax dress:
    IMAG6597.jpg IMAG6599.jpg IMAG6603.jpg IMAG6599.jpg

I made a small screech when I saw this lilly pulitzer caftan in super minty conditions for literally 3.99. I think the lady in the store gave me an odd look when I hurriedly snatched it from the rack:
    IMAG6630_1.jpg IMAG6637_1.jpg IMAG6649.jpg IMAG6637_1.jpg

this zip front day dress:
    IMAG6657_1.jpg

As for the rest:

this gorgeous cape which I presume to be 40s (early to mid?). I'm not certain of the outer fabric, but inside it appears to be lined in rayon crepe:
    IMAG6501.jpg IMAG6509.jpg IMAG6505.jpg IMAG6507_1.jpg IMAG6506_1.jpg

and then there's this. I feel awful that I'm not sure exactly what era this is or really what it even is. judging by the construction I doubt it could be later than 40s or even 30s, but I just can't place it and it has no labels to add to the mystery:
    IMAG6521_1.jpg IMAG6534.jpg IMAG6538.jpg IMAG6533.jpg IMAG6552.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. doehearted

Thanks it certainly was! Aha that's definitely the exact label! I had originally thought it 40s, as well, so that probably further supports the dating estimate.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Just to give you a bit of a time frame, I found a 1945 ad for a Kabelle house coat.

doehearted likes this.
  5. doehearted

oh, wow that does seem about right then! thanks!

6. Lucky you!!

Fuzzylizzie, aka The Vintage Traveler, has a great blog post about Swirl Dresses.

I was at an estate sale yesterday with literally hundreds of vintage clothing items, most from the early 60's and 99% in poor condition. I did manage to pick out a "like new" 60s Villager blouse, an unusual ivory 60s Mr Mort coat dress, and a fab late 40s/early 50s navy skirt suit. I love the hunt!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    doehearted likes this.
  7. doehearted

what a great post! i knew virtually nothing in regards to the history of the swirl dresses, so that was a huge help, actually.

and congrats! oh definitely, i think the hunt is one of the best parts, especially when you somehow pick out a piece you'd never think to find. ah, i'm such a sucker for 40s sets like that and that mr. mort dress sounds fascinating! if you have a picture feel free to add it in!

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  8. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Great finds!! I love that Swirl dress, the crocus print is divine.

doehearted likes this.
  9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

10. doehearted

thank you everyone!

11. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Love those petals on the sleeves peignoir. So cute.