1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Susan Small of London label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by awaywiffairies, Aug 20, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Hello!

I want to list a 1960s Susan Small silk day dress on Etsy, but after checking the label resource, there doesn't seem to be a similar Susan Small label to the one on my dress.

So, does anyone know more about this label? I'm hoping it's still the Susan Small but wonder why this one is different. I don't want to list a dress that isn't what I think it is.

Thankyou!

[​IMG]

Sarah

2. Take a look at my Etsy shop. I have a beautiful Susan Small hostess dress listed (late 1960's). A British label. Lots of info there. I'd love to see a photo of yours. I posted a while back about Susan Small so I'm really interested to see what yours is like. :)

I'll find a photo of the label - I'll be right back!! :duh2:

3. There you go!

[​IMG]

4. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I had that label in an early 60s dress once. I think it's the late 50s-early 60s label, don't worry - it's genuine!

5. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

I had a dress a while ago that I reckon was 80's, by susan small. But looking at the label resource it says that the label stopped in the 70's? I don't think i have a picture of the dress, must go look...

6. awaywiffairies

Hi Louise,

I did actually have a nose at your gorgeous Susan Small dress while I was researching but it didnt show a label, so thanks for posting it! Your dress is so lovely with the colours and detail but so very different from mine! There's a drape across the back with a finishing bow which fastens with press studs at the hip and there is a 'flap'on the front. The colour may not be to everyone's taste, but the colour is much nicer in the flesh.

There is another label on the dress which is obviously the shop/dept store that the dress was made for 'Perrets Paignton' (sweet) so maybe that's why the label is different cos it's a diffusion line..is that the correct term? If so, and it is a genuine Susan Small, would it have an affect on the price I wonder...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sarah

7. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Great dress! I don't think it's a diffusion line to be honest, it's just a slightly different label that was in use for a few years. The Perretts will probably have been put in just before it went out on the rails. Some boutiques used to stitch their own labels OVER the maker's label, or take that out completely.

8. awaywiffairies

Just read thread Emmapeelpants (love that name)...ooh that's so good to know..was your dress kind of similar to mine? I guess it'll be a good idea for me to put the label forward to Label Resource :USETHUMBUP:

Sarah

9. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

Is it a metal zipper or nylon... i cant tell i think i see nylon, not that it matters overall... honeslty it looks like a cusper to me.. I would say late 50s early 60s the sleeves and the little tie on the hip, accuanted waist... but the colors are more 60s?

Sooo maybe 60s still on the 50s silloette, but i think its a cusper... but I could be wrong I have been before lol :) A LOT but I am getting better so that a plus lol! YAY

10. Sarah, your dress is fab and I love the colour! My favourite! Looks 60's but with a 50's shape?? The draping is lovely. :)

11. awaywiffairies

It's a nylon zip so I guess that makes it early 60s then if Emmapeelpants is right re late 50s early 60s Susan Small label which I'm super sure she is! :drinking2: Mind you I want to put this on Etsy, but really don't know what price to list it for, it is a silk dress...I'll have to research some more but prices seem to vary so much for Susan Small :scratchchin:

Sarah

12. awaywiffairies

As I posted my last, I noticed your reply Louise. I'm glad you like the dress. Yes it is a 50s shape but nylon zip gives the 60s away. I love the drape too and the slinky silk is so nice to feel and must feel very nice to wear and a larger size so that's a good thing. I think your dress is lovelier though :cats:

Sarah

13. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

Well dont stress nylon zippers too much... its not a rule... technically Nylons became standard in clothing in 1968..... not the early 60s..... secondly the USA encouraged clothing manufactures to use nylon since the World Wars to save on "precious metals" but Fashion does not like to be told what to do. So to find onlder clothes with nylon, though rare, is possible and not indicative of a "newer" piece :) maybe it is smack on 1960 lol

14. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

It's a beautiful dress. It's the fabric that makes it solidly 60's, and that great colour! I don't think I've ever seen a bad susan small, but unless you're really into vintage it isn't the sort of label the average person knows about. I couldnt find any pictures of my 80s susan small but I currently have this susan small dress, the label is similar to the late 40's one in the resource. This is a 50's dress though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. awaywiffairies

Ok Louise will do. I forgot I do have another Susan Small (wanted to forget cos it's got some stains I need to sort out!).

I've posted photo of the dress as it also has exactly the same Susan Small of London label as my green one which is a coincidence! Before I put that label forward it would be good to pin point the date of the label, so is it correct to deduce that both my dresses look to be from the late 60s because of the nylon zips?

Sarah

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. I reckon so yes. And another pretty frock. I really love the Susan Small label. I've never seen a horrible one yet! They're always beautifully cut and designed. :)

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

18. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

I have several Susan Small dresses, all packed away at present, but I will check my own label archive, its on a back up drive, so next week if thats not to late, as I'm off work then..

I have some 50's through to late 70's garments...

I dont recognise this label and I think its a 70's label...my hunch is that it has been put into an earlier dress.. from late 50s, looks like a cusper to me. But not the right label.

19. awaywiffairies

Now I'm totally confused! :headbang: Both dresses have exactly the same label...does that make any sense re your theory Sarasattic? :clueless: