1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailored Stories, An Oral History of Savile Row

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by themerchantsofvintage, Mar 26, 2018.

1. About 45 minutes long. Fascinating:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

That was indeed fascinating, Deborah. I enjoyed hearing their stories and about their apprenticeships and hierarchy, especially with so many having started so young.

Lots interesting information -- including the Thornton System of suit making, and the story behind the suits worn on the album cover of Abbey Road.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Thanks for posting - that was interesting!

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Loved it! Hope Gayle sees this. I sent it to my brother who had all his suits made at Poole's - as did my Dad. I remember going in there as a young girl and being floored by the quality of the material.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks for posting, Deborah. I have to find the 45 minutes to watch this!!!:duh2:

6. Thank you, that was fabulous!

I do wish a segment was included on salary. I get the idea that, unless you owned the shop, tailoring was a fairly middle class profession?

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That really was interesting, nice to hear from all of these people who enjoy their work and are proud of what they do.

8. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Wonderful! I wanted to smell the cloth as it was being steamed. I noticed some of the tailors sitting on the tables cross legged! Some of the tools were obviously well used-those shears and the heavy irons. I worried about the coffee cup(s) sitting on the work tables. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Marian