1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking pictures of white items?!?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by GemGem, Sep 14, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello lovely vintage admirers and experts,

Was wondering if anyone has some pro tips for taking pictures of white clothing?

I have tried lots of different things and i understand that it's about balancing but it always seems to be a real task. I have tried using a dark background, lighting the subject more and taking pictures with items hanging by the window but nothing seems to really show the pieces in their glory.

Maybe I need to take a short course in adjusting white balance for my camera (tutorials I have found online do not address my needs) but any pro tips would be so welcome.

2. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

You can adjust the white balance if you using indoor lighting or using flash. Natural lighting works best.

With white dresses I have the light coming from one side so there is some contrast to dress....

Chris

The Vintage Merchant and GemGem like this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response,

I am not a professional photographer and the problem I have found with trying to adjust the white balance on my camera is that you can only use it on certain settings which then causes problem with focus and shutter speed. This may just be because of my own lack of knowledge.

Like you I only use natural daylight, I find it highlights clothing in the most natural and authentic way.

Would it be ok for you to link a picture of one of your white dresses so I can see what you are able to achieve?

I am currently experimenting with using a mirror to bounce some light on to the subject.

Thanks again.

4. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

white balance adjusts the yellow and blue which turns up in whites when using fluorescent or flash lighting if your camera is set on automatic this won't be available to you....

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Yes this is the problemI have had. When I use manual setting in order to adjust the white balance I have such issue with focus and shutter speed. I have a canon EOS 110D camera. It is an amazing camera which I have had for years and it has served me well. Think I just need to take my photography skills to the next level.

In other news the mirror worked pretty well. I have only used it with garments that have some print so it's not a true tests as yet but will keep experimenting and come back if I find anything really useful.

6. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

If your shutter speed is too low your picture will be fuzzy. You probably need more light and a higher shutter speed.

GemGem likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I generally take photos of my antique and vintage whites outside, but not in direct sunlight. A cloudy day can often be perfect. Or a shady spot right outside of, but still close to, the sunlight.

Maybe it is my camera, a pretty darn old digital camera, but whites have not been a problem, using the Macro setting in good light with no direct sun on the garment.

I suspect it may be a case of playing around with your camera.

I am sure others will come in with some good advice.

GemGem likes this.
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi Roux, thats great advice, thank you. I have not taken pictures outside for some time but i think it really might be beneficial to do it with the whites/creams.