1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teeny by Priscilla dress dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by stillcutevintage, Jan 30, 2021.

1. stillcutevintage

stillcutevintage Registered Guest

Hi everyone! I'm so grateful this community exists and I'm hoping you can help me date a Priscilla of Boston dress. This is a dress that's part of the Teeny line. I've seen two different Teeny labels and generally those dresses are dated 60s or 70s.

I want to confirm the era for this dress and haven't been able to find anything exactly like it yet. The style feels like it could even be 80s, but I am not certain on when the Teeny line was discontinued/renamed to Petite.

This dress feels like a satin, has lace appliques, and a train. The sleeves are puffed and the dress seems to be intended to be worn off-the-shoulder.

It has a "Teeny by Priscilla" label and a dry cleaning care label. There is also a Robin zipper (140 USA) on the back. (haven't had any luck dating those either!)

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

It looks like a flower girl dress my daughter wore in 1992.

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Looks 80s to me too. Can you post a photo of the label

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

With a train, I'd say it's a wedding gown, and from the period when Princess Diana's gown made a huge impact, after the 1981 royal wedding.

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Vintagiality likes this.
  7. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

" The “Teeny” line, later renamed the “Petite” line, was a more sophisticated title, created for the small woman. The most recent line created, in 1980, was the “Contemporary Romantic” line, a less formal gown for the refined woman. "

This is from the LR - written by Lynne Ranieri. It sounds like the Teeny line was changed to Petite before 1980 when the Contemporary Romantic line was started.

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. stillcutevintage

Thanks so much for all your responses. Here is the label, thought I included it!

Attached Files:

11. stillcutevintage

That was how I read that bit of text, too, about the label introductions. Sounded like the petite label was incorporated before 1980, but the wording isn't super clear if they aren't considering "petite" to be a new line. Sigh.

12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

My thoughts exactly! It screams Diana :)

Gosh it should be a pretty popular style after 'the Crown'.

For any young person I think it's hard to imagine the idolisation and frenzy that surrounded anything princess Diana unless you were around it, something to behold for sure.

Edit: I'd love to see it on a dress form or person!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    denisebrain likes this.
  13. stillcutevintage

I plan to take some photos very soon and will post them here! She's too small for my size 6 form :( but I think I can make it work.

GemGem likes this.