1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telephone Cord Purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by poplarbranch, Jul 14, 2019.

1. poplarbranch

poplarbranch Registered Guest

Hi All. This is my first post. I’d like to start by saying thank you for having me.
    I picked up this telephone cord purse and am feeling a bit stumped as to its proper age. I didn’t know these even existed until I ran across this beauty and all I have found online date them to the 40-50s. I am not sure the color scheme on this bag sits in that time frame, and I can not find another like it. It has a metal Murlen Zipper so I assume it could be as old as the 50s based on this alone, but again the colors?
    Thank you all for your time and any help.

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Do you have pics of the zipper and also the interior?

3. poplarbranch

sure thing.

Attached Files:

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Nice find! I've had this purse before.

I'd guess it's right on the cusp of 40s/50s. There is a telephone cord purse selling group on FB and if you post it there they will snap it up!

poplarbranch likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Susan...and it's an interesting color too!

poplarbranch likes this.
  6. poplarbranch

Thank You For the help on age. There is some mild wear along the Zipper area. I’m not sure given the age if it will affect the price point too much. Am I looking at a $50 bag or $150?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Welcome to the forums.

I have almost the same handbag in different colors. I dated mine to the 1950s because the colors on mine were introduced in that decade. I haven't spent a lot of time researching when color was introduced in telephones, but I think it was 1954. The model 500 was introduced in 1949 - first phone to have a ringer in the instrument and it was only available in black in 1949. I think your bag is 1950s, too.

This is mine:

[​IMG]

8. poplarbranch

9. poplarbranch

These bags are too cool! Thanks for sharing. I didn’t even know they were a thing until a few days ago. Has been fun learning about them.

10. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Love the colors of this one !

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think that this one - because of the colors and zipper - is very early 50s.

12. poplarbranch

Thank you all for your help.