1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terminology question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

What is the terminology for the technique or style of the bodice overlay of this dress? All that came to mind is rope lace but I know that's not a thing.

Thank you
    Victoria
    IMG_7268-cutout.jpg IMG_7270-cutout.jpg IMG_7271-cutout.jpg IMG_7277.JPEG IMG_7278.JPEG

2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I am not a lace expert, Victoria, but I would call this a woven crochet overlay. You may want to hear from some others who might pipe in.

Vintagiality likes this.
  3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This appears to guipure medallions. Guipure is a lace made like a burn-out with two different fibers.

The design is stitched onto one "fabric" the entire piece is treated with a material to dissolve the base fabric. They appear to be individual medallions sewn together, not a wide lace. Rayon is often used for the base fabric since it can be dissolved with an acetone -type product.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It is a chemical lace - embroidered chemical lace - as Claire describes. This is now called guipure lace, but guipure was originally a bobbin lace. not chemical. It is not crochet lace, though it does have something of the style of crochet lace.

I would probably describe it as an embroidered guipure lace overlay.

Distantdetails and Vintagiality like this.