1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That Wilroy Look: Help Please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TulipKing, Mar 31, 2022.

1. TulipKing

TulipKing Registered Guest

Hello!

I found this stunning two piece set thrifting today and wanted to know if you could help me date it or tell me anything about it. Please see photos. It’s hard to photograph at night. I can post more in the morning with natural light.

tags “That Wilroy Look” no size

Appears to be a very small size. beautiful stitching work. The fabric is so amazing - black metallic silver. No idea what it’s made from. It was so amazing I had to buy it.

bottom is a pencil skirt
    Top looks to be 3/4 sleeves with a high neck. Fabric forms a Diamond pattern in the front chest.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I had that same tag on a 1950s black velvet crop jacket, but is the only time I had ever come across it.

TulipKing likes this.
  3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

TulipKing likes this.
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

It's a knit. I know because (weird coincidence!) I listed a Wilroy Look top in my Etsy shop last week.
    wilroy2.jpg

My fiber burn test suggested that the nonmetallic portion was rayon, with the possibility of synthetic blend.The stretchiness of the knit means it fits a variety of bodies well, going from demure to bombshell as desired.

denisebrain and TulipKing like this.
  5. TulipKing

So cool! So would this a one size fits all then?

6. TulipKing

Yes! Side covered metal zipper - see photos below
    TALON is on the zipper

The top also has a hidden metal in the back. Reads Talon on the zipper - also took photos below

Attached Files:

denisebrain likes this.
  7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I am rarely comfortable saying OSFA with vintage. One Size Fits Many? Yes.

I wear a modern size 12, and even though my Wilroy top measures 37", it stretched to fit me and zipped OK. I seriously considered keeping it! But it wouldn't fit a woman whose usual size is 2XL IMO. For some garments, I give a measurement range, like "measures xx", but stretches easily to xx".

TulipKing likes this.
  8. TulipKing

So can I date this at 1950’s based on the zipper?

9. TulipKing

Any recommendations on how I should I clean this? Dry clean? Hand wash?

Thank you everyone for all the information so far!

10. TulipKing

For anyone interested- here’s an up-close of the two Talon zippers

Attached Files: