1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Addis Co. Syracuse, NY jacket - year?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by c cahill, Feb 14, 2020.

1. c cahill

c cahill Registered Guest

Hi all, I found this lovely jacket in Upstate, NY and I am wondering what era it looks like it was made? Other internal label says, "Jabbow Original." Also, it has a tag for the AFL-CIO international ladies garment workers union!? AFL-CIO merged in 1955, so it's after that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

At first glance your jacket looks to me like an early 1960s jacket that would have been part of a suit and it would have had a matching skirt. However, before dating it, it would be really helpful to see images of the Union label and the store label. In case you have not already found the VFG Label Resource here is the link to the Union labels:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/ilgwu

We do not have the Addis Co. label in our LR but there is some information about this store online.

c cahill likes this.
  3. c cahill

Attached Files:

4. c cahill

Here are the other labels! I hadn’t seen the label resource before - it looks like 1955-1063!

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you for showing the other labels. The ILGWU label is definitely the one used from 1955-1963. There is an entry in the LR about Jablow that gives some history of the company. There are only two labels, and the one that matches yours is from a C. 1950s suit. I am fairly certain that your jacket is from the early 1960s. If you do a search for 1960s women's skirt suits you will see a lot of jackets that look like the one you found!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Vinclothes likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member