1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brooch is Back, Baby!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by MagsRags, Mar 24, 2021.

1. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The New York Times says so, in today's Style article, and I hope it's true.

The author cites Gaga's huge Schiaparelli dove brooch at President Biden's inauguration, as well as multiple male celebrities wearing brooches on red carpets in recent months.

A quote from the article: "Rings, earrings, bracelets and necklaces necessarily interact with fingers, earlobes, wrists and throat, posing limitations on the jeweler. But “a brooch is independent of the body,” said Lori Ettlinger Gross, a jewelry historian in New York. Like a painting or sculpture, it’s a nonverbal statement, a small sandwich board — as the brooch-wearing diplomat Madeleine Albright has repeatedly demonstrated, strategically wielding pieces from her sizable collection first as ambassador to the United Nations and then as secretary of state.

She wore a giant bug pin after Russians were caught eavesdropping on the State Department, and an arrow-like pin when renegotiating the Antiballistic Missile Treaty. Asked by the foreign minister if it was a missile interceptor, her response was, “Yes. We make them very small.”

And that was before the age of social media. As Kristen Ingersoll, a stylist in New York, succinctly put it, “these days, a brooch is better than a tweet.

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Love that! I was always a fan of Madeline and of her fabulous brooches. What a powerrful message she sent.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Great article, Maggie!

I have a version of the Mazer brooch - shown in the article:

upload_2021-3-24_9-14-19.png

I have seen it with aqua stones, too. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I love brooches!

4. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

Thanks for sharing, Maggie. Interesting and very positive! I think vintage in general is having a resurgence but who would've thought the stodgy brooch would have a comeback! (I love em').

Just recently, I sold a huge Les Bernard brooch for $75. Had I seen the article first, I would've raised the price! It sat for several months before it finally sold. I also just sold a Miriam Haskell necklace with a large brooch-like medallion. When I purchased this piece, I thought it was pretty unusual and thought it would get snapped up quickly but it just lanquished in the shop. So, I raised the price and it sold the next day. Coincidence, I know, but a happy one. :)

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

I follow Jill Wine-Banks, a Former Assistant Watergate Special Prosecutor who is the author of the book "The Watergate Girl" and an avid brooch wearer, who uses the hashtag #JillsPin.