1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kindness of Some People . . . .

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by catwalkcreative, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Well boy! Am I one happy, happy girl today. :sunshine: The postman has just delivered a box of 11 magazines dating from May 1968 to August 1969.

I found them on eBay with a starting bid of 99p and was out when the listing ended so missed it!!!! Drat! Anyway, I figured it wouldn't do any harm to contact the seller who turned out to be a very nice guy. I sent him a lovely email telling him that I would like to buy them for research purposes and he agreed to sell them to me. :)

He'd found the magazines in the attic of their house and thought he'd see what price they got on eBay. Well, surprisingly they didn't sell so I asked if he would re-list them or to let me know what price they'd take. The seller was in the UK (same as me) yet the postage was still very high at £10 due to the weight - you can imagine! Anyway, he agreed to just £12 in total - including postage!!!! How nice is that? My faith is restored in human kind! :)

The mags are called 'Fashion'. They're not in 'mint' condition, some of the covers are a little tatty in places but all the pages are intact and in really good order. They're jam-packed full of fashion photographs. I'm just absolutely gob-smacked at this person's generosity. Just sent them a really lovely email telling him how much I appreciate these magazines and they will be very well looked after. Here's a tiny snippet of what's inside. Check out the divine Twiggy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Oooooh, I'm drooling.

3. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

nice score....so jealous!!

Ang

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

They are incredible, and it's wonderful to have a nice feeling associated with them!

5. It seems not everyone is out to make a 'quick buck'. He just seemed happy they were going to a good home. Makes a refreshing change! :)

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

those are amazing!! what fun you have ahead of you!!

Twiggy was my absolute favorite when i was a kid ~ we even had a skinny farm cat that we named Twiggy ~ lol

7. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I have those shoes in the last shot!

-Chris

8. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

:fainting:

Janine

9. Those are so, SO cool. Lucky lady, you!

10. joules

joules VFG Member

What a nice man! These is wonderful resource material, and just goes to show, that it usually won't hurt to inquire. Refreshing!

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That really was especially kind of him! They are wonderful 60s reference material for you. Those falsh lashes on Marisa Berenson are just too much!

13. Gosh! I didn't realise it was Marissa Berenson. I'd heard of her but didn't know much about her at all. I can't find any credits for her in the magazine. I don't think models used to get the same sort of recognition like they do today. I'm impressed you recognised her! And, you made me want to 'Google' and see what became of her. Look what awful news I found on Wikipedia: :(

"On September 11, 2001, Marisa's younger sister and sole sibling, Berinthia "Berry" Perkins, widow of actor Anthony Perkins, was killed in the first flight to hit the World Trade Center. In a strange coincidence, at the same time as her sister's death Berenson was flying from Paris to New York. In an interview with CBS, she told of the experience and how hours later she landed in Newfoundland, and was told of her sister's death by a phone call with her daughter. Said Berenson: "I have hope and tremendous faith. I think that's what gets you through life ... through tragedies is when you have faith."

:jawdrop:

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

15. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

O...M...G!!! I am drooling on my keeyboard! Those are amazing, someone smiled on you!! Congrats on the sweet score! :headbang:

16. Thanks everyone! I'm so busy at the moment but plan on spending some time looking through them all properly.

I've already come across a really fab interview with Mary Quant on a section about women that don't look their age. The interviewer is saying something along the lines of 'ooohhhh, can you believe Mary Quant is 34!!!!!!!! Like she's ancient or something. :icon_dante: Funny how times change but I guess 34 is still ANCIENT in the fashion world.