THE Mary Maxim Thread

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Nov 21, 2017.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

My name is Linda and I am a Mary Maximaholic!

Pull up a chair and let me fill up your glass. Share your stories and sweaters.

I recently found some vintage Mary Maxim 4 Ply "Cloudspun" wool!! I am over the top with joy. I thought it was Lotus Blue at first.

It feels so thick and lush. Amazing! At first I thought it was the colour used in my Oil Derrick sweater.

However, I know the wool in the Oil Derrick is 4 ply "Northland" wool. Danube Blue, in fact.

In fact the Lotus Blue seems more likely for my Beef Cow/Bull sweater.

Yet, there are flecks of grey in the Bull sweater. They did "Tweed" or "Mix" colours so I think it was a Danube Blue Tweed/Mix??

2. lindapoirier

There are a bunch of Mary Maxim sweaters I never thought I would own because I found the designs kind of humdrum. Colour. Colour proves me wrong all the time.

I never thought I would want this Mary Maxim "Thunderbird" pattern No. 403 sweater.

I have only every seen plain white backgrounds with brown or black details. Then I came across this sweater.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. lindapoirier

Second example of colour changing my mind about a pattern. "Hiawatha" pattern No. 409.

4. Midge

Midge Trade Member

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

6. lindapoirier

Stella Sawchyn created the very first pattern for Willard and Olive McPhedrain in 1945. The "Reindeer" No. 400 (adult's) and No. 450 (child's).

Another sweater that I never wanted to own. It is ubiquitous and kind of humdrum. Normally, knit like this.

Sometimes in blue.

Then I found this one. I could not resist. Hunting at night!?!? Blood red deer??? Too wonderful to resist.

7. lindapoirier

The only other sweater I have that I would have never thought is "Wild Duck" No. 430.

Most normally knit like the suggested advertising.

Mine is somewhat bizarre in the black. Again, I thought, "ducks flying at night???"

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont Trade Member

Wow - crazy colors Linda.

Well, I finally won a Mary Maxim sweater on eBay - not a high price because it has some soiling and at least one hole, but I think that's all fixable. Very Vermont. Regular holstein colors on the back - but red cows on the front. Red toned holsteins are quite popular now! I may end up fixing it up and giving it to a farmer friend.
    s-l1600-1.jpg pdl446.jpg
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  9. lindapoirier

So fantastic!!! We had one only ever in the farm. We called her red, of course. Great price. I knew you'd find one.

The flaws are not going to be difficult to fix. Great seller for pointing them out, though.

I am happy you found one you like.
  10. lindapoirier

The colours of the spectrum!! I don't have a violet Mary Maxim yet and that yellow isn't Mary Maxim. If anyone recognizes the pattern, please let me know?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  11. The Vintage Vendeuse

The Vintage Vendeuse Trade Member

I love this thread, Linda! :wub:

A Mary Maxim store was located just 45 minutes north of me in Port Huron, MI and I wish I'd visited it more often. It closed only few months ago.
  12. lindapoirier

I got this, thinking it was a real Cowichan ($13.99) - Value Village) but it is a company called Kanata that started in 1979 with , I guess, the same admiration and reverence for Cowichans and Mary Maxim that I have because I see from there website and google images that they make hybrids of Cowichan and Mary Maxim sweaters!

First my new to me" Kanata sweater. I like the wood burnt buttons!

Here is a version of their hybrid Mary Maxim Wolf/Cowichan.

Edit. It seems like there is always something to learn about sweaters!!!
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018