1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nicholas Brothers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Retro Ruth, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

... and Cab Calloway, in six minutes of extraordinary wonderfulness. The closing number from 1943 film, Stormy Weather.

Fred Astaire said this was the best movie musical sequence he had ever seen.

Something to brighten your day

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Yes! It has been a favorite for a long time. There are actually several fabulous numbers in that movie, including several by Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I only saw it recently for the first time - haven't seen the movie, but it's on my list now!

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Lena Horne has a lead role too. Gorgeous woman with a gorgeous voice.

Stormy Weather is one of those rare movies that were made by a major studio with all-Black casts. Cabin In The Sky is my other favorite - directed by the great Vincent Minnelli, with Lean Horne, Ethel Waters, and incredibly wonderful jitterbug type dancing. To say nothing about the 40s fashion!! And Duke Ellington's orchestra. With Louis Armstrong.
    Cabin_in_the_Sky_(1943)_1.jpg

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is the most fabulous dance on film ever!! Man would I be ducking if I were in the band!

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Amazing!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. I have seen them before. They are utterly Amazing.
    Thanks, this is perfect for a Friday night

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

One fabulous dance number and a most enjoyable film!

I was watching Sweet Charity the other night...and I just love the dance sequences...the scene with Shirley Maclaine and Ricardo Montalban at that party with the great clothes (1969) Bob Fosse was the director and choreographer. Edith Head did the costumes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    MagsRags likes this.