1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perfect dress for the Shakespeare year

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, May 4, 2016.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It's the year of Shakespeare... and here's the perfect dress for it, which I found a few months ago in a thrift shop in Vienna. It's beautiful, feather light silk and I'm guessing from the 80s or newer, though with a very 50s-retro silhouette.

shakespeare2.jpg shakespeare1.jpg

I bought it because it fits beautifully and I just loved it in general, not even realising it would be the perfect dress for this year :).

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Also perfect for attending performances of Romeo and Juliet!

sewingmachinegirl and Midge like this.
  3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Karin that's fantastic, the print looks like an original 1940s possibly reused, the colours are just a touch on the stronger side.
    I've also just bought a novelty print dress with a Shakespearean link, although my primary reason for buying it was that it depicts scenes from several Operas, one being Faust. I am singing in a themed concert on the 25th.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh Melanie, that's so cool! I'd love to see a picture of that print!
    This one is really vibrant color-wise, commercially made, with a German label that says 100% silk, and a nylon zipper. But it definitely has a "vintage vibe". I'm going to take this one with me on my trip to Australia, to wear to one of the evening functions. Things that are light to pack are always a bonus. ATE always has a few opportunities to dress up, but I've got to take stuff along for almost three weeks and it has to survive that time in the suitcase too...

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

That dress is gorgeous Karin, what a find!! :)

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a stunning print and love the styling too.