1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'The Snapper' coat 'Country Clothes' by Handmacher

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Effel Timpy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Effel Timpy

Effel Timpy Registered Guest

Hi!

I can't seem to find anything online to date this Handmacher coat. The only thing I could find about the "country clothes" Handmacher line was that some "country clothes" clothing was sold on The Premier Estate Sale Marketplace with other vintage clothing.

The label inside the coat is the only visible label besides the tags attached to the right sleeve, and all the fasteners on the coat are metal snaps (how brilliant. 'The Snapper'). I also attached a photo of the tailoring on the inside. The length is 44 inches and under the arm is 46 inches. Sorry if I'm giving to much unnecessary information, but I really want to learn about this piece even if it isn't something that special.

One more question. Is this a women's or men's coat? I'm a complete newbie to this, sorry.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

image4.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

(I'm new here. Do people like full images or images in 'thumbnail' form?)

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The coat on the right in this 1955 ad seems to be the same as yours:
    SnapperCountryClothes1955Ad.jpg

The text beneath the image states: "BY HANDMACHER...on campus, commuting, station wagon...this is clearly the coat of the season. All wool Melton cloth...fastened and trimmed with brass snaps on black calf. The coat (8-16) $39.95"

PLEASE NOTE: This ad is for educational use only. Please do not repost it anywhere, especially not in the text if you are describing it in order to sell it.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Welcome to the forums! I was writing my reply and saw that your coat has been dated and identified! It's a great find. To answer a couple of your questions, one easy way to tell men and woman's coats, shirts and jackets, sweaters, etc. apart is they direction in which they fasten. Woman's clothing has button holes on the left and buttons (or whatever the fastener are) on the right. Men's clothing is the opposite. In the case of this coat, the style and detail on the pocket would also be clues that it's a woman's coat.

The size of your photos is perfect! Enjoy your coat!

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Linn, I think it is the other way around, correct? On women's clothing the buttons are on the left...at least that is where they are on all my things.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, of course! I was looking at a couple of pieces hanging in the closet.:duh2:

6. Lucybelle

Lucybelle Registered Guest

Nice coat! I always teach my students that "women are right on, men are left over!"

7. Effel Timpy

Effel Timpy Registered Guest

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for your help!!!!!! <3