The Vintage Fashion Guild Bookshops! Your recommended reading list.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by Leonardo da Vintage, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Leonardo da Vintage

Leonardo da Vintage Administrator Staff Member

VFG bookshop button US.jpg VFG bookshop button UK.jpg

We are very excited to announce our own VFG bookshops, on Amazon!

They are full of recommended reading for vintage fashion education. If you've ever thought you needed some vintage fashion books but didn't know where to start, here is your reading list.

With our international users in mind, we've opened similar shops on both USA based amazon.com, and UK based amazon.co.uk.

We've spent time compiling an amazing book list and put them together in one place, where they are still supplied and delivered by Amazon or Amazon sellers. We have titles by our own VFG members, and other books that have been recommended by our trade members and forum users. There are some rare and unusual titles that you might not otherwise hear about. There's even a fiction section with novels featuring vintage fashion for your leisure reading! Special thanks are due to former VFG member Lei Marvin of Corsets & Crinolines (crinolinegirl) for her work in compiling the original booklist that was a starting point for the shops' contents.

To help you browse, there are different 'shelves' such as: Victorian and Edwardian Fashion; 20th Century Fashion; Fabric and Sewing; Hats Shoes and Accessories; Jewelry; Lingerie and many more.

It's not only books - we've also included a selection of useful cleaning products for your vintage wardrobe, and some handy things for sellers.

As well as being an educational resource, the bookshops are a VFG fundraising initiative. The VFG is a member of the Amazon Associates programme, and earns a small commission on all products sold, at no extra cost to you or the authors. Funds raised are used to support the work of the Vintage Fashion Guild, including maintaining and developing our website and its free resources. So by shopping in our bookshops you can support the VFG, as you develop your book collection.

Click the buttons above or the links below and have a look around the shops.
    Which books do you like the look of? We'd love to hear your wishlist!

Links:
    The US VFG bookshop: http://astore.amazon.com/thevinfasgui-20
    The UK VFG bookshop: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/thevinfasgui-21
    Why not bookmark them?

Small print legal announcement as required by Amazon and the FTC! "The Vintage Fashion Guild is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com." But we'd already said that above, in plain English.

denisebrain and sarah-jane like this.
  2. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV Trade Member

woooooowwwwww yeahhh

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

this is so exciting, thank you SO MUCH for bringing this to life, Ruth!! LOVE this!! :clapping:

4. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion Trade Member

5. thespectrum

thespectrum Administrator Staff Member

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Trade Member

Very very cool and such a good way for both readers and the VFG to benefit!

7. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Registered Guest

8. Leonardo da Vintage

Thanks Jodie! I'm planning to start a separate thread at some point for book recommendations, but by all means post them here too. I will certain add that one, thanks for the link.

9. Leonardo da Vintage

10. Leonardo da Vintage

That's exactly my thinking Melanie.

11. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

Congratulations!!! I know the books that I have on vintage are constantly referenced. Also, these will make great gifts for any vintage-conscious gal or guy you know.

12. Leonardo da Vintage

Yes indeed, I'd be happy to get any book in this shop as a gift!

13. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage Trade Member

I'm so glad to be at this grand opening of the new VFG Bookshops. You've done an amazing amount of work Ruth! Thank you!
    [​IMG]

14. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer Trade Member

I couldn't resist and trotted to the bookstore to buy Melody's book which was on my wish list.

15. Leonardo da Vintage

That's great Claire - I think you are our first customer!

16. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl Administrator

I cant let myself be tempted this week, I have to be strong!

17. Leonardo da Vintage

Aw share your wishlist with us anyway Gayle!

18. sewingmachinegirl

Ruth you are being a temptress!!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  19. Leonardo da Vintage

20. sewingmachinegirl

I cracked, but I guess there's no harming in looking!

I would love to buy these to start with!

17th Century Women's Dress Patterns (Womens Dress Patterns 1)
    By Tiramani Jenny

Couture Sewing: Tailoring Techniques
    By Claire B. Shaeffer

Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style DK Publishing ( Author ) Oct-01-2012 Hardcover
    By DK Publishing

Corsets: Historic Patterns and Techniques
    By Jill Salen

Stockings and Suspenders: A Quick Flash (Fashion)
    By Rosemary Hawthorne