1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Avantbo, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I knew I had this coat, its story began about 10 years ago, it was a box find and had been seriously chewed at by moths, I wouldn't allow it inside the house, it were that live, it went straight in to a deep freezer and over 4 weeks or so it was frozen, defrosted and so on.

It was boxed and stored and I recently found it again.

The critters had taken their toll but because of the pattern a lot of the damage disappears.

I had always had a question if it was male or female attire but that question was recently resolved when one of my children found the date and size on a label.

It is a ladies Angora coat from 1955, there is no makers label/brand although it must have had one and made in England.

However the date/size label creates a question, I'm hoping someone can answer, see the photo, also what is the pattern called?

Its belt is a tie belt, no buckle

Its nice and soft, not nearly as heavy as it looks but still would keep out the cold.

I have no idea who the retailer was, that may remain a mystery.

It could be repaired with stitching and a half lining fitted.

Opinions/advise on the label and the pattern would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's a lovely coat.

I have to correct you on dating though. The woolmark logo didn't exist until the 1960s, I think 1964, so it can't be earlier than that. Whatever that 1955 means, it's not the year of manufacture. The washing symbols and multiple languages also suggest a more recent date, so it would help to see the whole label. But looks probably no earlier than 1980s to me.

I think, strangely, Angora is the brand. It's clearly labelled pure new wool, which means it's 100% wool (from sheep), and not angora (from rabbits). It's a confusing brand name, that's for sure!

The pattern is Prince of Wales check, also known as glen plaid. Or at least, it's very similar to that.

Vintagiality likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ruth,

I have so much to learn,

It would never have occurred to me Angora was the brand--I assumed, I mean--oh well, the label confused me, 100% wool and Angora, I feel really daft.

Below is an image of the label.

Thanks for the pattern description, you think 1980s?

Attached Files:

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

6. Retro Ruth

Well it's a very confusing name to give a brand, Angora! So I'm not surprised it confused you.

Could be 80s. There's no drying symbol, which is more common in later years, so that does suggest 80s. I'd wait for some other opinions on date.

7. Midge

8. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Midge, Ruth, thanks.

If the consensus is 70s/80s I'm more then happy to accept this.

But I've gotta question, those lapels, that shape and them shoulders, not 60s or early 70s?

Any opinion on the sizing on the label, it has to be UK 12??

9. Retro Ruth

You would never see that label on a 60s coat. I'm personally even not sure about late 70s, with all those languages.

10. Retro Ruth

I don't see a size given on that label. I don't think those numbers relate to size.

11. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I've just looked at photo again, 1955 UK 12 or is that 72?? or as you say nothing to do with date or size.

12. Midge

Ruth, you may know better about English labels having multiple languages or not... I was just going by style.

And then I remembered... this is from 1982:
    Burda 7723_2.jpg

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  13. Retro Ruth

The lapels are narrower on your 1982 pattern, but otherwise very similar. Somehow that label is to modern for late 70s, I think.

14. Midge

15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Funny, but I see robe, not a coat. Is that an inside pocket I see?. Is it structured, or can it be folded? Maybe it is coat, it sure is lovely. I love the pattern.

Edited to add that now I see no pockets at all on the coat, so it would not be a robe.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  16. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Barbara,

Do you mean folded like a dressing gown or thick robe?

That is an inside pocket and come to think of it, ( I will have to check tomorrow or the next day ), I think there is a further inside pocket, right side nearer the back and lower down.

I pulled out 3 or 4 things I want to share so took photos, I'm sure this particular coat had a deep concealed inside pocket which surprised me but maybe I'm getting fuddled.

I did find a pretty vintage dress, ( I think so ), which I haven't photo, till' I've carefully pressed it once I can work out the folds, once done I will share it, see what you and others think.

Meanwhile it appears the coat is not as vintage as I thought it was at first.

17. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Gosh ( B ) that's close.

18. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I've added 2 more photos.

Coat has 5 inside pockets--3 left, 2 right.

I took another photo of a lapel, it doesn't look 80s???--it's so wide and pointed.

It is very soft and does fold like a very thick robe but obviously is a coat.

Is there a specific term/a name given to the inside flap of wide material that the small inside pocket is on?

Attached Files:

19. Midge

Thank you! Definitely a coat, not a robe with those inside pockets.

I'm not quite sure what you mean?

20. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I meant this.

Attached Files: