1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on this gold belt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, Nov 4, 2017.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi all!

This really cool gold belt is confusing me. Half inch wide 27 inches long with a chain fringe tassel at the end and a large hook closure. No marks of any kind. Not quite like a metal mesh or snake or coil style but scored to move and curve with a checkerboard pattern in the gold metal.

Any thoughts on age? And what would one call this? Coil? Mesh? Snake?

Thanks in advance!
    BeltGoldChainSnake-6260_RT.jpg BeltGoldChainSnake-6261_RT.jpg BeltGoldChainSnake-6262_RT.jpg BeltGoldChainSnake-6263_RT.jpg BeltGoldChainSnake-6264_RT.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

first impression is 1960s. It's a stretch construction right like watch straps? The hook style is similar to 50s/60s necklaces. I'm thinking Cleopatra here.

carla rey likes this.
  3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Melanie, it looks like it would stretch but it doesn't, it curves. Cleopatra is right on it I think.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it could be more recent - late 1990's - early 2000's or more recent. I used to wear a LOT of St. John during that time and metal belts were available and meant to be worn with most of the simple knit dresses, etc. I still have quite a few of them and not all of them are chain link. I wondered if they are still in the line, so I did a quick search - and here's one that's current - not metal but the same idea as Carla's:
    upload_2017-11-4_9-50-12.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    carla rey likes this.