1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrift find-BEAUTIFUL ILGWU made wedding dress. Label=1974-'95, looking for more info on it!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintageish, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Vintageish

Vintageish Registered Guest

Thrifting today and I stumbled across this amazing wedding dress that I fell in love with. I'm not getting married but it's so much my style, looked pretty vintage AND my size... I had to try it on. Trying on led to purchasing because THIS beauty was 80% off (thank you thrift Gods)

So I started looking and it's got an International Ladies Garment Workers Union label. I looked that up and the color of the label tells me it was made sometime between 1974-1995.

The care label sewn in behind it reads, "dry clean only, do not use petroleum solvents or the coin operated method of dry cleaning" which makes my 90's baby self assume it's probably more in the late 70-early 80 realm?

I don't know too much about dress fitting and their terminology but I can give you my best, please let me know if I'm referring to something using the wrong term.

A-line waist with somewhat of a ballgown look, v-neck/illusion neckline that comes up to your neck (victorian style), statement sleeves that v down to touch the first knuckle of your middle finger, a ruffled, multi-tiered skirt that hits the floor perfectly in the front (with me in it standing at 5'3, no shoes on) and about a 2-3ft train in the back. The back also has hooks for the option of bustling the train but I can't find anymore hooks on the train itself. I think it might have had a cathedral train at one point that's been removed? Haven't gotten TOO under the skirt out of fear of it's frailty.

It's lace, satin and has multiple small pearl embellishments on the bust, neckline and cuffs. While it zips in the back it makes it look like it's been buttoned up. The only buttons that actually have their own hoop are behind the neck and around the wrists.

I took pictures best I could but I know the coloring is off since it's white against a light background. I'm more than happy to take more if anyone asks.

I'm just looking into what date this was possibly made in, if it's more of a one of a kind thing? Really just any information about it in general!

It's labeled as a size 6 but I'm a size 2, 110 at 5'3 and it fits snug as a bug. I mean it fits me PERFECTLY! It's in great condition, no dirt around the bottom or on the train just some small tears in the stitching in about 4 spots within the layers of skirt

IMG_1812.JPG
    I'm sorry it's sideways, I don't know how to fix it on this thread. Front of dress

IMG_1813.JPG
    Sleeve detail

IMG_1814.JPG
    Bust/front detail

IMG_1815.JPG
    Bottom of front of dress

IMG_1816.JPG
    Detail in ruffled layers

IMG_1817.JPG
    Sleeve detail

IMG_1818.JPG
    Back of dress

IMG_1819.JPG
    Back of dress detail

IMG_1824.JPG
    Back of neck detail, blurred out tag from thirft shop

IMG_1821.JPG
    Front/neckline detail

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG

I'm in love with this dress. Contemplating saving it for my actual wedding day... which makes me realize I just peaked at crazy cat lady levels. I own a wedding dress, not engaged and have 6 cats.

IMG_0990.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I am not an expert, but your dress has me thinking 80's due to the puffed sleeves and embellishment. Let's see what others think. Also, you gave me a chuckle with the cat lady comment. If I were you I would keep the dress as you are obviously nuts about it (and as it is vintage, the odds of you finding it again in your size are pretty much nil!). Congratulations, you look fantastic in it!

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My guess is mid 1970s. Very very pretty and it looks stunning on you.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm seeing 70s with this one...and yes, you do look beautiful in it! Good luck with six cats!!! I have three, half-way to your crazy cat level!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Late '70s, perhaps as far as 1980.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Looks late 70s to me... maybe VERY early 80s at the oldest.

8. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see late 70s/early 80s too.

And 6 cats! Can you post some pics of them too?!

9. Vintageish

Yes! I'm among my people! I told myself I'd cap it at 3 but then I found two brothers starving under a bush and agreed to foster them... which ended in me adopting them. Then "pet sitting" turned into "can you just keep my cat?"

When I hung the dress to take pictures they started flocking and I gave them the BIGGEST lecture. "if you touch this. There will be consequences..."

I'm thinking late 70's too and thank you!

Edit: I included a photo of the Christmas card I made with the cats from last year for y'all entertainment!

10. Vintageish

ABSOLUTELY! We have Christmas cards made too. This year was our second. I kept getting marriage invites and I decided to rebuttal with cat Christmas cards.

Edit: I have included last year's card in my post for your enjoyment. Meet Ziggy, Kitty, Tyrion, Ozzy, Charlie and Felix

11. Vintageish

I did some research into the petroleum base coin operated dry cleaning tag and it seems this method of cleaning was most popular late 70's-early 80's and that the petroleum would have turned the dress yellow and... well make it very flammable.

12. Vintageish

Thank you!! I couldn't believe it. IDK if you can say how much you paid for the find in this forum but I got this dress for $26... I'm going to do what my mother recommended and hold onto it for the time being. It's not going to depreciate in value, I don't desperately need to sell it and to be honest... I plan on taking a kick ass photo shoot in it.

Someone recommended I wear the dress and have all my cats dressed in little tuxedos for the shoot. Which I would absolutely do if I thought for a second even half of them would allow me to put a tuxedo on them.

13. Vintageish

Thank you! I couldn't believe the amazing fit. I was telling my boyfriend's sister about the find and she goes, "is this your way of telling me y'all are getting married..." "No no no. But... maybe don't tell your mother I bought a wedding dress..."

14. Vintageish

Thank you! I'm reallllyyy leaning into late 70's as well. PS- your hair color is amazing

15. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Loving this thread - great find and I love your cats pic!
    I have had 8 cats at once, I currently have 2.

16. senkot

senkot Registered Guest

I was searching about this type of label and run across your post and 1) awesome dress 2) do not get rid of it bc one day you'll regret it 3) even if you one day decide to get a wedding dress that's different this one would make a great dress for a photo shoot or you can wear one to wed in and one for the party :) 4) I have cats too - two and I had them before I got married 5) i don't know you but reading your post here and seeing your sense of humor and the fact you like animals I have to say we'd be friends fast if we ever met :) " I think you have a great personality, don't change ever even if it's for your future husband whoever it ends being otherwise your cats better keep you in line ;) !
    Btw the high neck goes in and out of style; about a decade ago I believe it was in and thus two of my girlfriends wore this type of dress but sleeveless, though in your dress' case I'd preserve it as it is :)

17. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That dress does look beautiful on you. I wouldn't need a wedding to wear that dress if it looked like that on me. I'd where it to the grocery store, the kids' school, to the dentist, drs., etc. People would always think I was getting married. Nice score and really looks nice on you.

18. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

A friend of mine who did stand up wore a wedding gown on stage. Her routine was about dating in the city.