1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiffany Box from 1800's "Chime in"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kimberly Vigili, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Kimberly Vigili

Kimberly Vigili Registered Guest

Hello Vintage Friends!

I have here a neat conversation piece. This is an old Tiffany Box dating to the 19th century... So my friends great aunt passed away at 104 this past year and she inherited most of her belongings as her aunty had no children of her own. My friend knows how much I love all things vintage so she asked me to come and check out all of her wonderful treasures of a life well lived. Her aunt not only had her jewelry but her mothers as well. We came upon this box...

I research and research looking for anything on E.P. Tiffany & Co. I thought it was so cool just to have an antique box with Tiffany's on it and was trying to figure out its age. So Another fellow seller on Etsy helped make some connections. It turns out that this E.P. Tiffany & Co appears to not be the same company as the famous Tiffany & Co. but instead a bunch of swindlers that were using the reputable Tiffany company name on their products and selling them. Or they were soliciting money and orders from folks and not giving them their product. In fact there were many complaints and warnings and bewares of this E.P. Tiffany & Co. I found this reference in the The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review, Volume 15, 1884:

[​IMG]

I know its really small and fine print but essentially people were making complaints about E.P Tiffany & Co. and before they could get caught they sold their shady company and skipped town.

What also is intriguing is that the magazine excerpt stated that they were complete swindlers and just took the money and ran but this box suggests that they did indeed have some product to box up at one point or another. I believe at one time this box held a pocket watch? Or something similar (too bad that's not still around) So this box is not the Famous Tiffany & Co but still a neat piece of history that dates to the late 1800s. It also has a curious story.

So I was wondering if anyone had anything to offer, if you have seen this label or know anymore info, or just what you think. Chime in please! And lastly, I know its not the authentic Tiffany & Co. but do you think their could be a collector or someone would be interested in purchasing.

Thanks
    Kimberly V

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

An article I found about the hoax said in addition to gold watches they ran ads for firearms, jewelry, and “a variety of small utensils.”
    8B3EBEB9-52C3-4C87-984D-D844C3803298.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

That is am amazing story!

Absolutely! The backstory might make it all the more desirable.

cmpollack likes this.
  5. Kimberly Vigili

Kimberly Vigili Registered Guest

upload_2019-1-8_23-11-29.jpeg

Found another cool ad. regarding E.P Tiffany & Co.

So just out of curiosity if you were to sale this box what would you charge?