1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tiffany silver mesh bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bycin, Jan 22, 2011.

1. bycin

bycin Guest

Does anyone know of a place to get Tiffany pieces authenticated...or a site that would help with hallmark and stamps for them? I have a mesh purse in need of research : )

Thanks, as always.

ps - I'll post a pic when my batteries charge and, yes, this is yet another item my mom purchased at a yard sale.

2. bycin

bycin Guest

picture

Here's a picture

3. bycin

bycin Guest

more picture

4. bycin

bycin Guest

more

5. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

6. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

I AM NOT AN EXPERT but frankly, I can't imagine that being a fake. It's just gorgeous!

7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Love that purse.

8. bycin

bycin Guest

Pinky, thanks! I'm looking now.

Don't think it's a fake at all, just kind of curious the year. Also curious as to why one Tiffany bag I saw - only diff was it had a store name etched into the side bar - was worth $850 while many mesh bags are in the $80-125 range. Is Tiffany the magic word, d' you think?

9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

The Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks has a page on Tiffany Dates, and a recommendation for a book that has more info.

Don't know much about mesh purse pricing--except that some are sterling and some aren't. Perhaps that explains part of th e discrepancy (with the collectibility of the Tiffany name explaining the rest of it?)

10. bycin

bycin Guest

Yes, I saw that page. It's more helpful for flatware than the bags. I'll keep looking and if y'all have more info, I'd love it. VERY helpful!

11. joules

joules VFG Member

I'd march right into a Tiffany store with it, to see what I might glean. I've always found them very helpful. Of course, I would look at some jewelry, and maybe take in something of theirs for repair, at the same time.

Yes, Tiffany is the magic word.

12. bycin

bycin Guest

Oh, Joules...I wish I could march into a Tiffany store. I live in Albuquerque though. *sniffles*

13. joules

joules VFG Member

That's right, you sure are. (We've only recently gotten one here.) I used to like visiting the old store, on Wilshire Blvd. but then they moved across the street, and it just wasn't the same.

14. bycin

bycin Guest

I used to go into the one in NYC among others. Oh, how spoiled was this window shopper!

15. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's a beautiful piece, is there any other maker's mark on it, to id the lovely work on the clasp. That could also make a big difference in what you would get for it.

16. bycin

bycin Guest

there's a makers mark, yes. It's an M G. I've not found anything similar in all my researching. Help is greatly appreciated!

17. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Did you see the similar/same purse on RL? Not a bunch of info but very interesting.

18. bycin

bycin Guest

Hi, misgrossmyer! I did. You mean Ruby Lane, right? If so, that's why I am not just listing it on etsy. Did you see the price?

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You've probably been to this page

http://www.925-1000.com/ Tiffany_Date_Code.html

link broken before Tiffany

I'm wondering if the M may not stand for John C. Moore II
    who was the director for Tiffany's between 1907-1947

and the other initial might be for the actual maker, that's the one that's harder to id.

Perhaps you could ask the question also on the silver site
    which is a silver forum

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/ viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17163

link broken before viewtopic

20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I just spoke to my friend, who used to be the archivist at Tiffanys, about your bag and she said she only glanced quickly at the photos, as she is frantically trying to pack for a move. She said it is probably 1920s, but emphasized that she just did a fast look, and that it was retailed by Tiffanys, but not made by them. She said you can probably find the silver mark in Dorothy Rainwater's book on marks (hers is now packed away), to see who made it.