1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To wash or not to wash

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Drifter, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Drifter

Drifter Registered Guest

I've recently purchased this lovely dress.

It's cotton and apart from a bit of fade is in lovely condition.
    Normally I would give a cotton dress a gentle handwash but this one has rhinestones dotted all over it and still has intaced interfacing/lining so I'm debating if I just steam and air it?
    Any thoughts or washing tips welcome.

There are some faint brown spots on the bodice lining which I thinkay have come from the rhinestone studs in a previous wash.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Drifter

Drifter Registered Guest

Aah I thought they had attached will try again here

4. Drifter

Drifter Registered Guest

It's currently not letting me upload my photos. Will see if I can figure it out.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

If your photos are very large files, (eg over 8MB), you will need to reduce the file size before you can upload.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter Registered Guest

I think it was just my phone being uncooperative hopefully there are now Photos.
    IMG_20220801_160428559.jpg

Close up of studs
    IMG_20220801_160358288.jpg IMG_20220731_213250632.jpg Whole dress

IMG_20220801_160609218.jpg Rust spots? Only visible on lining
    IMG_20220801_160641667.jpg Stiffened/reinforced bust area.

8. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

If that is papery interfacing in the lining then I would definitely dry-clean, not launder.

denisebrain likes this.
  9. It's lined in pellon, a papery lining that was popular in the '50s. I would gently handwash in lukewarm water, rinse and dry flat on a towel in the shade. Avoid squeezing or applying too much pressure to the fabric.

I routinely wash everything that comes into my collection because you don't know what it contains, even deadstock might have dust, and insect eggs.

This dress would also dry clean well.

Steaming is good for removing creases and freshens clothing but does not clean.

10. My only problem is that the rhinestones and metal prongs, may rust when washed. Just a warning.

11. Yes, they need to be treat carefully but if you don't drag the process out and let them air dry well, you should be fine. I've successfully done dozens like this one.

After all, it's probably survived many washes before now because our 1950s grandmothers didn't dry clean a lot of their dresses.

denisebrain likes this.
  12. Drifter

Drifter Registered Guest

Thankyou for your replies.
    I normally do wash/ dry clean any vintage I buy but too much Google had me paranoid with this one.
    Appreciate all the input.