1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today's find: a pair of saddle leather suitcases

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Another shopper was looking at these... but put them back down so I quickly grabbed them! They are in excellent condition inside and out and came complete with key and the previous owner's address tag. I'm thinking 1950s but please let me know if I'm off base. :) They are monogrammed but the handles are covering it. Unfortunately, there are no maker marks anywhere, not even on the lock or key. The bottom of each case has an impressed mark "Saddle Leather".
    ~Donna

Attached Files:

2. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Wow, now that's a score!! Bravo Donna :clapping:

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Beautiful colour - it look likes oxblood or burgundy on my monitor, is that right?

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Beautiful cases! I've seen a lot over the last few years but nothing even close to those.

5. Ruth, I'd vaguely heard of oxblood and googled it... yes, that could be it. I had been thinking chestnut, are the two colors virtually the same? The photo was a quickie and the sun shining in my front window is detracting from the true color. Hmmm, it seems that oxblood was recently a trendy color so that may be in these cases' favor. :)

6. Retro Ruth

Oxblood is much redder than chestnut. It's close to wine/burgundy, but a little browner. I think anyway.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would definetly go with Oxblood red, chestnut is a rich medium brown, like real chestnuts or hair.

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Those are beautiful! Any pics of the inside? Inquiring minds would love to see... :)

9. Carrie, here are some more photos, including the inside:

Attached Files:

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Super nice - if you have any of those huge catelogues (I have some reproductions) this is the sort of thing you can look up to see the different styles and how much they cost etc.

11. Retro Ruth

Lovely! definitely looks like oxblood colour to me.

12. joules

joules VFG Member

I see more early 60s.

Really nice, clean condition. Lucky score!

13. Thanks, joules!
    I haven't the foggiest on how to date luggage. Can you fill me in on how you determine early 60s?

14. joules

joules VFG Member

I lived through that era, and it's mainly just impressions, based on memories, and the way that hardware looks, the interior, etc.

I love luggage, with a weakness for train cases, but no special expertise in the realm.

It will be interesting to see what further research reveals about dating this nice set.

15. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

It was meant to be! They're gorgeous!

16. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I don't know if this was used earlier in relation to saddle leather, but that shield symbol around the text looks like an early leather symbol. The earliest I have personally seen it is 1969 from a pair of shoes with the receipt. The early ones don't tend to be as defined as the pelt shape they are today.