1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toddler Unisex Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lori Ammons, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

I have seen other toddler unisex coats on line dated to the 50s and 60s. The color and button style on this coat though really reads 70's to me. No label other than dry clean only so suspect wool or wool blend. Anyone have thoughts on a year here?

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Lori Ammons

I agree it "reads" more masculine...but the unisex aspect opens up both avenues, unless we there is another reason anyone can think of for two sets of buttons holes and the ability to close right or left. Definitely missing girly frills.

5. The Old Leaf

The Old Leaf VFG Member

I've sold sewing patterns for boys, double-breasted coats like this dating as far back as the early 1950s. Also, my father wore a herringbone overcoat with buttons like these years back - when I was child in the late 1960s. I'd say his coat was probably from the early 1960s or late 1950s. I recall it had the same kind of belt in the back, bias pocket flaps & collar of contrasting color. I believe it's safe to date this boy's coat between the 1950s and 1960s.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see 60s, or even early 70s on this one, and yes, for a boy.

8. Lori Ammons

Thanks everyone for your input and expertise!