1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Lama boot age help please, They are in the box with info but no date.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cody Easom, May 8, 2012.

1. Cody Easom

Cody Easom Registered Guest

I have a pair of Vintage Tony Lama boots that have the following info on the box.
    Stk: Y3000
    Size: 10.5 D
    TP: 565
    TOE: R
    HEEL: 3
    HT: 13
    FT: LIZARD RING, PNT B SKINS
    TP: KITTYTAN, INCA

The boots are in the box that is marked Gold Label. They have all original tags, boot inserts and medalion. I am looking to find a date for these and possibly a value. Any help would be appreciated, CODY

Attached Files:

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Is $232.50 the original retail price on that price tag?
    Do you have a photo of the box?
    Nice boots! I would suggest contacting the Tony Lama company.
    I would guess 80s to perhaps 90s.

3. Cody Easom

Yes Joules, That is the price in the boots and on the box. Here is a pic of the box. I think they are from the 80s or earlier because the store the tag is from closed in the late 80s.

Attached Files:

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Great info, and thank you for the photo of the box. I'd go with 80s then.
    Still wouldn't hurt to contact the company.

I've found Justin to be very helpful, so worth a try with Tony Lama too.

5. Cody Easom

I called Tony Lama and got some info. The Y3000 indicates custom orders or limited production, They are ring lizard lowers and Smooth cow or kid uppers, Inca refers to the coloring and pattern on the upper. The lady was so very nice and even had more info than I had asked for. The age is from 91 to 98 because of the 8 digit reg. # She said Ring Lizard is no longer used by Tony Lama and was one of the more exotic skins used. She suggested because of rarity and box and all contents were intact that they would retail near 4 times retail. She said it is very uncommon to have all the style sheet info labled right on the box. Thanks for your help. I would love to hear any thoughts on value if you have any that are different than the lady from Tony Lama. CODY

6. joules

joules VFG Member

That is terrific information to have; I figured they'd be able to really zero in on all the details, such as the specific materials, and date range. Great!
    And good to know they are nice and helpful there.

Now, we don't really advise on pricing, but frankly, I'd be astonished if they would sell that high.
    I sell cowboy boots regularly, and they do well, but I think that would be somewhat miraculous, but heck, you never know, and with the original box, and their pristine, unworn condition, that will be a great selling feature.

Maybe that would be their retail cost if produced to that level today; that's how I would take that.

7. Cody Easom

That makes sense, the retail price if made today. What is the best place to try to sell them? I normally dont have any clothing item or boots to sell, I am a guitar and music guy so I know nothing about the boot market. I do try to stay away from ebay if I can help it. They seem to have gotten a little greedy for my tastes. Any info on value with your past expertise would be awesome. Maybe you could pm me if it isnt against the rules of the forum here. I know every forum has specific rules and I like to follow them. Makes things work smoothly. CODY

8. joules

joules VFG Member

My venue of choice is Etsy. I hear you, regarding ebay. Nonetheless, it can sometimes remain the best venue for certain items.
    Another possibility might be Bonanza. It may take time and exposure, to find your ideal buyer, looking for that particular boot, in that size.

I'd suggest checking completeds on ebay, for pricing research, for starters.

How do you deal the guitars, if not ebay?
    [​IMG]
    Stevie Ray Vaughan

9. Cody Easom

Mostly local and word of mouth. And now most folks know how to search Craigslist and search in every city at once.