1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kittenteethvintage

    kittenteethvintage Registered Guest

    Got another question for you! The treatment on the skirt below, would that be considered trapunto, quilting, or something else? It is lightly padded and the stitching follows the design details on the larger flowers and leaves.



  2. Vintagiality

    Vintagiality Trade Member

    Trapunto is a type of quilting technique and I think this looks like it but let’s see what some of the experts say
  3. Retro Ruth

    Retro Ruth Administrator Staff Member

    If I understand trapunto correctly, it is where specific elements in a design are padded out from the back, by creating a slit in the under layer of fabric.

    Whereas quilting is all over, a layer of padding trapped between two layers of fabric, and stitched together

    So I think this is quilting, if I'm reading the photos correctly and the padding is throughout the skirt. It is quilting that is following the lines of the pattern rather than the standard lines of stitch. It's rather special and nicely done quilting !

    If it is only the flowers and leaves that are padded though, then it might count as Trapunto.

    I think the two techniques can be combined as well? So you might have all overall quilting, but then specific elements have been given extra stuffing to raise them further from the overall design.

    Hopefully someone will correct me if I've got any of this wrong!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  4. Racked Vintage

    Racked Vintage Trade Member

Share This Page