1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRIFARI Necklace & Earrings - What is material?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 50sVintage, Nov 23, 2018.

1. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Hi All,

I acquired from an estate this necklace and earrings set with a loose Crown Trifari tag in a Trifari box but there is nothing imprinted on the metal clasp. Also I would like to know the material - is it plastic? The lilac stone seems genuine but the other beads not. I could not find a set like this under a search for Trifari anywhere so I'd very much appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

Mia
    Trifari parure (10) resized.JPG

Trifari parure (6) resized.JPG

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

If the beads feel like plastic, they could be a moonglow lucite possibly, or they may be glass since they appear to be individually knotted, or a combination of both. The purple stone likes like art glass. Very pretty set.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Laura.

If you are not sure if the stones are plastic or glass you can do easy tests by putting them up to your lips. Plastic will be warmer than glass. You can also tap them - glass will make a higher clearer sound than plastic. If you are not sure do this test with items you know to be plastic and glass and compare the results.

4. 50sVintage

Laura, Linn,
    Thank you so much for the help! Another question: what decade would you put these? I am not sure whether the set belonged to my friend's mother or grandmother.
    Mia

5. Linn

Mia,

In order to date this set, it would help to know the length of the necklace and see the clasp and the earring backs. It's also possible that the earrings are not an exact match but a good compliment to the necklace.

6. 50sVintage

Linn,

Below are pix of the earring and clasp backs. (One mention in my post was that there isn't a Trifari imprint; there are the Trifari loose tag and box.)
    The necklace is roughly 21".

Trifari parure length.JPG

Trifari parure (4)a.JPG

Trifari parure (5).JPG

7. Linn

Thank you for the additional pictures. I think the necklace is C.1950s - possibly early 1960s. The earrings are from the same time frame but I don't think they are a match to the necklace and I don't think they are Trifari. If they were sold as a set, the earrings would probably match the green stone surrounded by faux pearls used in the clasp. It's also possible that the necklace is not Trifari, since it is only marked with a hang-tag. Most Trifari was marked but I have had a few pieces that were not.

The necklace is pretty and very wearable!

8. 50sVintage

Linn, thank you for the additional help. It occurred to me that the pieces don't match and might not be Trifari. I would not deliberately list them incorrectly so I'm grateful for the opinion of a professional.