1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to date old COTILLION Granny Panties

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 50sVintage, Jul 9, 2010.

1. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Hi. This is a terrific site and I appreciated all the help members offered in the past.

Today, I'm trying to date old COTILLION Granny Panties found inside an old Lion Store bag in a Michigan Estate.

Here are two pics. Looking forward to your comments.

Mia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arthur Bhutic likes this.
  2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Can we see them unfolded? And, if the crotch is lined, is the lining cotton or nylon (self lined)?

3. 50sVintage

Yes, thanks for helping. Here are more photos.

The tag reads 100% Nylon and 100% Cotton crotch. Tag also reads Made in USA - my thinking is that if it were made in China, for example, that would signify more recent decades. Also, priced at 4/$9.00 gives me the impression they were sold in the 50s or 60s, but I need to hear more from you experts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. 50sVintage

Thanks for your observation Mary Jane. What signifies the early 70s, please?

6. poppysvintageclothing

I can remember that shiny fabric being popular in underwear in the 70s, there were bras made with a similar fabric as well.

Think disco...shiny!

Also, even the label has me thinking that.

7. MyVintageCocktail

I agree with Mary Jane that they're probably 70s--I have a 1970's nightgown I wear a lot that is made of this shiny nylon. They could be mid 70s--I can't really narrow it down to what part of the 70s, myself.

Other clues are that in the 60s, most nylon panties had nylon crotches (which were bad for you 'cuz they didn't breathe, so the switch was made to cotton sometime in, I think, the late 60s (maybe earlier, but not by much, I don't think). Also the price is too "expensive" for the 50s or 60s, for everyday undies.

8. 50sVintage

I see what you ladies mean by the shininess of the fabric, but the unusual cut of these panties still makes me think only of Granny Panties, as I will explain.

Two bits of information I didn't mention before: First, the boyleg cut is very pronounced once the panties are put on. (I finally got a NY vendor to allow me to use his legged mannequin only to find my camera battery had died.) The rise is VERY high - 14" !! This would have been exceedingly rare for a 70s female, even a matronly one, particularly given the panties are size 7 - with 36" hips.

Second, the star mark on these old Cotillion panties labels is identical to the star mark on old Hollywood Dolls (that were manufactured only from 1941 to 1956.) I recently spent days researching with doll experts this very mark that appears on a doll I plan to list on eBay. It is faint, but here is a photo:

[​IMG]

The star mark is faint, but very much there, and it is identical to the star logo of the old Cotillion panties' label.

So my question now is: would it be correct still to call them vintage Granny Panties, even if they are 70s instead of 60s, given the actual cut of the panties and apparent evolution of Cotillion out of mid-century apparel? (Or, if this reasoning is a stretch, tell me. I don't want eBay bidders to become angry over a dating error.)

Thank you so much for your help and advice!

9. poppysvintageclothing

I wouldn't call them granny panties, they were just normal full panties for those who didn't like to wear bikini styled ones at the time.

10. MyVintageCocktail

Again, I agree with Mary Jane. They are full-cut briefs, as opposed to hipsters or bikinis.... That low-cut leg opening is quite common for that time for all women, not just grannies! The high leg cut wasn't as omnipresent as it is now.

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree. I think most women wore "undies" or "underpants" cut like that then.

Linn

12. 50sVintage

Thank you everyone for your comments.

This forum and everyone who's responded to my inquiries this past year have been so very helpful and friendly.

I'm off to adjust that listing but I'll be back soon to ask advice about an extremely unusual brooch. . . . . .

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm a bit late as I haven't had a lot of time til now... but anyway, I have a 1971 mail-order catalog, and all the panties in it, even the ones for young women, look pretty much like these.

The info on the shiny fabric was helpful to me by the way too... I have a vintage slip that looks like the same material. Something learned again!

Karin