1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Fur Stoles - help with difference

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by PhoenixSisters, Jan 31, 2023.

1. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

Hello! I have two fur stoles from my grandma's hoard and I'm trying to work out what they are. She claims they are mink but I am not sure, and helpfully they have no labels.

I've been using the fur resource but still not convinced, any advice is appreciated.

They vary a lot in colour and I originally thought one could be farmed and the other not. The lighter coat is definitely made of multiple small pelts, possibly farmed mink? It feels soft in both directions but is definitely a shorter less luxurious feel than the darker stole.

The darker stole has a nicer gloss to it and if it is made from multiple creatures it is less obvious. Also it has pockets! I attach a picture of the fur cross section. This fur also feels soft both ways.

Thank you, Rose PXL_20230131_122054900.jpg PXL_20230131_122252505.jpg PXL_20230131_120106583.jpg PXL_20230131_120423654.jpg

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Looks like Russian squirrel to me though I am not a fur expert so let’s see what others think

PhoenixSisters likes this.
  3. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

Thank you Victoria, I think you're right, the darker one looks like Russian squirrel. Think the lighter is a pieced, meh quality mink