1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. vivavintage

vivavintage Registered Guest

Hi all,
    Brand new here and thankful to have found you! I would love feedback on a dress I just found. The main issue is: There are two "designer" labels. The one I have found info on is MILGRIM....Sally Milgrim was the designer and was active from the 20's to the 60's, with the last Milgrim shop closing in the 90's. So that's one tag. Then there is another tag that says "original by Rudolph". Both are sewn in. So do we think that "Rudolph" made a copy of a Milgrim dress and sewed in an original label? Then put his own label on it as well? The dress itself is exquisitely made and is in pristine condition. It's a black 50's style cocktail dress with a boat neck, tapered snug waist and full skirt. It has a netting half slip sewn in. BUT, the material seems to be in such good condition that it makes me suspicious. Wondering if it could be NOS, but really can't tell. Anybody ever have a similar issue? I want to re-sell it, but don't feel comfortable stating it's vintage yet.....Help? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

hello, vivavintage, we have a trade member here with that same name... vivavintageclothing!

anyway, photos are always helpful. so, if you have some images you could share here with us, that would be great. thank you in advance.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  3. vivavintage

I'm having trouble uploading more photos....I have pics of the tags...will keep trying

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Its not uncommon to find the label from the designer AND the shop/boutique in the garment dual, but because Milgrim is also a designer, that's a little confusing.

5. vivavintage

Right, exactly. So would you sell it as vintage? I sell on Etsy and want to make sure I don't misrepresent.......thanks!

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

It would behoove you to focus less on "can i sell it as vintage?" and would more behoove you to focus on representing it to be a narrower date - portion of the decade optimally rather than just slapping "vintage" on it and getting lost in a sea of of "vintage dresses." yes, its a vintage dress, but describing the best design features and the exact time period would help you find just the right buyer.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's a lovely dress, and not unlike other Rudolf dresses I have seen. The two labels most likely mean that's it's a Rudolf that was sold through Milgrim's. Those boutiques did carry other lines as well as their own. As to date, it certainly appears to be mid 1950s. That zipper placement is a good indicator, as are the design , fabric and silhouette. You just happen to have lucked into a dress in great condition!

Patentleathershoes likes this.
  8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a really great dress. I also see a true vintage dress, but might date it a tad earlier, more in the very early 1950s. How long is it, from waist to hem? Lovely fabric, looks like a damask satin taffeta stripe, and a great style.

The fact that it is so well preserved is a huge plus.

9. vivavintage

Thank you so much; very helpful information!

10. vivavintage

Thanks for responding! Waist to hem measures 32 1/2"....

11. vivavintage

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it!