1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions on purses: ID a logo, and what is this type of clutch called?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by KayJay, Feb 27, 2019.

1. KayJay

KayJay Guest

I was gifted some purses from a retired NYC fashion designer, who passed away shortly after, and have two questions I am hoping I can find help with.

The first question is regarding the faded logo inside a emerald (satin, perhaps) clutch. I have attached photos 1 and 2 of this logo, hoping someone may see enough in it to identify the maker.

The second question is regarding a small clutch by Gucci, shown in photo 3. It is only 7" across, has no inside compartments and, on the left side, has a solid ring. Would this just be considered an evening clutch or is it correctly called something else? What is the purpose of the ring?

Thanks for your help. I am happy to provide more info if needed
    KayJay

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think the second one is a coin purse, rather than a clutch, that would have been part of a set - a larger bag with matching coin purse. The ring is to attach it to a clasp inside the larger bag, for security (ie to stop it from being pickpocketed out of your bag)

3. KayJay

KayJay Guest

Thanks, Retro Ruth. I had thought of that but, while it seems too small to be considered a purse, it seems way to big to be considered a coin purse, I think. I had a friend suggest the ring might be for a missing wrist strap?

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes, that's also possible I suppose, but the ring is very large for a wrist strap. I don't find 7" too big for an inner purse though, and the kiss clasp does suggest that kind of purse to me - perhaps not just for coins, but a smaller bag inside a tote bag.

5. KayJay

KayJay Guest

Thanks, RR! You are a lot more familiar with this stuff than I, so this is a big help. Now, if I can only find someone who recognizes the logo on that other clutch. It is hard to photograph.

Retro Ruth likes this.