1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncut circle skirt fabric...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LorrelMae, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First off, thank you fuzzielizzie, for the article you wrote! I didn't know circle skirts could be had in such a manner!!

Secondly, sorry for the hasty images!

Third, what would you do with it?

I would love to put it together, yet I don't want to cut it to my size (I'm too large), it would ruin it's possibilities. Plus, the way the edges run together :/ . The colours are my favourite, though... It wouldn't be 50's if I made it for me.

Ergh!

Sell it as is, or have a seamstress build it, then sell it??

Thank you!!

Sandi

GemGem likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

:wub::wub::wub::wub: LOVE that print!

I see your dilemma...I think I would leave it as is and sell it. There may be some who would like to have it as is, others who want a size that isn't the one you would have made. It isn't a hard skirt to make and might enchant a home seamstress. I know I'm enchanted!

3. atticville

atticville Alumni

Am Enchanted also & Agree with Maggie.
    The fabric is more rare un-made. keep us posted!

GemGem likes this.
  4. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

A few months ago I wanted to make my own circle skirt with a border print. When I got to thinking of how to draft it, I was stymied.... using typical fabric with a border on the long edge wouldn't work - maybe with a zillion panels... I just happened to see a couple of these on ebay just after that and was charmed by the way they dealt with the problem! I wish they still printed fabric like this. I would definitely sell it unmade, since as a home sewer/costumer I would really look forward to making this myself!

By the way, could someone share the link to fuzzielizzie's article on circle skirts? I'd love to read it, and I've been away so might have missed it if it was posted on this forum recently.

Jen

GemGem likes this.
  5. Another vote for enchanted and agree....I love the way that they used to print fabrics sometimes with particular pattern pieces in mind - I've seen a few border print circle skirts made out of fabric like this and they're totally charming :wub::wub::wub:

Nicole

GemGem likes this.
  6. Wow! I've never seen fabric like this before. I'd definitely sell it as is. Looks amazing!

GemGem likes this.
  7. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

First, thanks for the nice words about the article!

This is just super! I would sell it as is.

In the article, the "Elvis" skirt is a preprinted one, but it is a bit different from this one. In it there are skirt sections, and it would take 8 or more sections to make a skirt. This looks like that the waist would be lightly pleated, especially for a small waist.

I don't see any markings on the fabric, so I'm wondering if this wasn't printed for commercial use, rather than for home sewers. All the ones I've seen had the instructions printed right on the fabric. I have a Vera shirt that is printed this way, without the markings, and it was intended for factory sewing.

Really super find!

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that is crazy cool!! another vote for selling as is, also, WOWOW!!

am lusting here.

GemGem likes this.
  9. OhhhI love it! Please let me know when you list it!

GemGem likes this.
  10. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Oh, that's wonderful! Sure to excite the imagination of someone with talent with a needle and thread...

Here's the link to Lizzie's article on circle skirts:

http://fuzzylizzie.com/circleskirt.html

GemGem likes this.
  11. joules

joules VFG Member

GemGem likes this.
  12. queen0ftheang3ls

queen0ftheang3ls Registered Guest

Just chiming in to say how much I love the uncut skirt! I agree with everyone saying sell it as is - I know I'd jump at the chance to sew it myself, to my measurements.

Also, nice article! Someday (you know, after I win the lottery) I would love to collect the painted Mexican circle skirts. I lived in southeast New Mexico for a while and would see these at vintage and antique stores - so pretty, but out of my price range!

GemGem likes this.
  13. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

Thank you everyone!

My picture framer nature says not to touch it. I can't bear to cut through the fabric!

But the colours......say " Make me YOURS!"

Sandi

GemGem likes this.
  14. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

Very pretty.

15. Very cool-love the city skyline.

I would be torn as what to do also.

16. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

That really is a wonderful piece of fabric! What a fab find!!

GemGem likes this.
  17. trickster

trickster Registered Guest

LOVE that. I'd be tempted to buy it and give it a go at home.

18. WillaStauton

WillaStauton Registered Guest

I searched and searched after seeing this fabric for one with which I could make a circle skirt. I even had a pattern that required such fabric, so at some time it must have been made for home sewers. Eventually I figured out that you could buy circular tablecloths in the correct diameter for the length you want and cut out the center for your waist, he's a coordinating fabric for the waistband and use what you cut from the center to make essentially a bound buttonhole type opening for your zipper. Makes a lovely circle skirt.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  19. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Sell as is and definitely post in the Facebook group for Conversation and Novelty Prints. There are MANY collectors of unusual novelty prints there as well as talented home sewers.

GemGem and northstarvintage like this.
  20. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The original post is over 10 years old, folks.

GemGem and thespectrum like this.