1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University crest/seal novelty print?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gossamer, Dec 4, 2018.

1. gossamer

gossamer Registered Guest

One of my most treasured items in my closet is this side-zip early-mid 1950s (I think?) shirt-dress because of its fabulous novelty print fabric.
    [​IMG]

I'm not too concernd about showing the shape itself since it's your basic cotton peter-pan collar shirtdress (unless you think it would help you learn more about the dress, happy to take some better pics), but the fabric is what really makes it special to me:
    [​IMG]

I'd assumed it was homemade until I found the barest remnant of a tag in the collar - no clue as to what it once was.

Has anyone else seen examples of this kind of university-related novelty fabric in other dresses from this era?

I am so curious to hear more if you have!

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Love the posed photo. Very charming.

gossamer and lkranieri like this.
  3. gossamer

Thank you, mags_rags!

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

This is called medallion print. It was very popular from late1950s-mid1960s.

gossamer likes this.
  5. gossamer

Wonderful, thank you!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I just LOVE that dress and the print. And your photo is utterly charming. :clapping::wub:

gossamer likes this.
  7. gossamer

Thanks! It makes me happy every time I wear it, especially since I feel like I'm representing myself and so many of my friends and family who went to these universities! <3