1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsigned Beauty, Maybe French?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sandygal, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Sandygal

Sandygal Registered Guest

Hello, I recently got this at an estate sale, and I’m dying of curiosity about the origin. Someone suggested French, but I can’t even remotely find anything that resembles it. I would sooo appreciate some thought, so I can stop obsessing

7A9C0E99-5970-4404-9507-1EDBEA911981.jpeg 719F09DE-1804-4DEC-A59B-B63E6DB65EFB.jpeg 0FC390C6-3ACE-4634-9C22-E6B7F9CDB262.jpeg

GemGem likes this.
  2. I don't really see made in France with this necklace. I have definitely had earrings and necklaces that had similar findings and they were made the USA. Mine were from the 1950s and early 1960s. I may have had some that were also made in Japan. I like this style as it sort of emulates the style of Miriam Haskell on a much less detailed level, of course.

Distantdetails and GemGem like this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Miriam Haskell style was my first thought, too, Bonnie.

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. Sandygal

Thanks for your thoughts! I understood that Miriam Haskell never had an unadorned closure as this one does, so I discounted it. I think one of the thoughts on France was the finish…it’s unusual to have a black finish on the metal. I’ll research Hobé! Thanks so much. I loved the little tube like glass beads with the imbedded sparkles…wondered if anyone knows where they were made?

6. I know this one is not Miriam Haskell for sure. And, like Mary said, it resembles Hobe. But, I don't think your set is made by that company either. I just think it is an unsigned beauty, like so many others. If I can lay my hands on a set I have that is not signed, I will post a photo. I know it has some of the same beads(the elongated ones that have some pretty glass work in the center, the roses and the faceted faux glass beads that resemble hematite). I don't have the earrings to match mine, but I do have the fringe style necklace.

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree that it is not Haskell. I don't think I have ever had a piece with that type of construction but if I were guessing about origin I would say Japan or Italy early 1950s. I would like to see a close up of the earring clip.

8. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I agree with all of the above!: It's not Haskell (the beads are not right for Haskell), the coloration of the bookchain IS unusual, and I'd guess it, at about 75% assurance, to be Japan. The only thing that keeps me from feeling 100% about that is the bead on the J-clasp.

Very pretty set!

9. Janine, that was one thing that made me think it might not have been made in Japan. It looks original to the piece and more like USA.

Distantdetails likes this.
  10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

11. Sandygal

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all your thoughts! So interesting, and I thank you for sharing your experience. I will include a photo of the earring clip! 6A84EE7F-086F-48E7-8DA2-D29133D98752.jpeg 6836CD46-2D75-41F5-AE6C-B028B929BB8A.jpeg 525DC5EE-D528-4EB1-9729-86FD22EC2CA2.jpeg

12. Sandygal

I find the pearls interesting too, as some are fully lacquered and some are matte, and it seems this is deliberate, as there are no “ half peeling” pearls.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Distantdetails likes this.
  13. Sandygal

This was from the estate of the same lady
    870ACC67-05E2-4EDE-8711-5C904B36828A.jpeg 870ACC67-05E2-4EDE-8711-5C904B36828A.jpeg

14. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Can you show us the backs of those? Those have some aspects that make them seem to be made by the same maker.

15. Sandygal

That’s exactly what I wondered too! By the way there are no marks on this one either..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021