1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Antique / Vintage Hand Painted bedspread

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hubsnbubs, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Hubsnbubs

Hubsnbubs Registered Guest

Hello!

we have in our possession an unusual hand stitched, hand painted bedspread (we think), which we are trying to gather any more information on as we currently can’t find another example.
    It measures approximately 150cm x 170cm, with 3 satin like panels. It is decorated profusely with floral motifs, which all appear to be hand painted in thick impasto relief. The ‘paint’ is quite brittle and on some places has chipped away, where this has happened you can see underneath there are traces of a blue line pattern.

We have attached pictures here and are happy to add any more information- we hope someone might be able to help us research / date this lovely piece!

Thanks!
    Ali
    2FF5E7A6-C9A2-4754-9058-2736657F8A73.jpeg
    5957754A-C48A-4B07-8F68-A31A89BBA199.jpeg 47206265-0DFC-4DD2-A47A-C141931AD744.jpeg 0B8DEC3C-D4F7-427A-9531-1CEDC6650496.jpeg C41FF16B-29B6-4F10-886E-2736F70D6539.jpeg

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Ali,

Isn't that lovely.

My first thought is, did it start life out as a bedspread or some other item and has been repurposed?

IMO its early 1900 although if separate and sampler panels, could be earlier and repurposed.

The floral décor, to me anyway, is suggestive of an earlier influence, Georgian.

I am also wondering if it is the work of 1 person?

Lovely, just lovely.

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Cheeky I know, could you post a photo of the carpet/mat bedspread is on?

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if the original purpose may have been to panel a screen. Very pretty piece!

5. Hubsnbubs

Hubsnbubs Registered Guest

Thanks for the replies! A screen sounds very possible. We thought maybe early 1900s too we just haven’t seen another example of the hand painted decoration with such thick impasto. Appreciate everyone’s thoughts!